Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foolproof mouse trap?

Foolproof mouse trap?

We have mice or one mouse at least. In the past we've had a lot of success with glue boards but this one isn't going for them, even baited. In fact we've found scat on the boards but no mouse.

Do you have a better idea? Cats are out BTW. I can't breath after 5 mins around one.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have some luck using cotton tied to a conventional mouse trap baited with bacon grease. Also had success using some of the poisons.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Professor Dr. SWMBO has been using electric (battery operated) traps for some time now with success. She actually has converted to the larger "rat" versions because they have been more reliable. She baits with peanut butter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom Cat mouse traps. Without a doubt.
    The trigger is a plastic pad that's large enough to actually put bait on. I wire a piece of a walnut to them, or a chunk of cheese.
    Gets 'em good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-17-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Google "pvc bait stations" and make them yourself.

I used to use a bucket trap at my cabin and switched to bait stations using 2 inch pvc. Place the bait stations outside, no sense inviting them inside to kill them. I use a bar bait called Jaguar made by Tomco, the same company that makes Myk's Tomcat mouse traps.

They eat the bait and disappear, no nasty traps to empty or reset.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

The bucket trap design with the ramp and the can on a wire has always had the best results for me. The other nice thing about it is that it can catch mouse after mouse without resetting.

My record is 34 mice in the loft of a barn in one night.

Is the point of a glue board that the mouse sticks to it if they walk on it? I am surprised a mouse could walk on it and not get stuck.

I believe I have conquered my mouse problem, but I will never say never. I killed three in the first week and none for nearly two months now. During renovations the house was heated, but had no siding so there were holes the mice could get in. There do not appear to be any holes for the mice to enter now, but I can't be certain on that.

One of our tenants used one of the electronic plug in devices that aren't supposed to work.

She said the thing worked fantastic! Got rid of the mice, spiders, centipedes and other assorted bugs.

Go figure...!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I stayed in a cabin at a Scout camp for a week some years back. The guy who was living there all summer made it a point when I got there to tell me not to unplug the electronic rodent repellent devices. Obviously he thought they worked. He said the cabin would be full of mice otherwise.

use standard traps with ppeanut butter and bird seed pressed in. Works great.

I also have had luck with one called "The Better Mousetrap". They work well and less chance getting yourself.

I tried everything and nothing is better than the standard spring traps. Rotate cheese and peanut butter.
    Little cubes of poison seem to work best though.
    Glue traps are completely worthless.

The only sure fire method is to move.

DeCon Rat poison works great !! Or just buy some traps. Are you dealing with Mice or Rats ? A # 0 or #1 Single Longspring trap will catch them every time!

I like smart traps. I've got one now, a 6# black and tan miniature dachshund. She is what mice have nightmares about. Makes the lazy cat look pretty worthless, and she's sitting here helping me type this. Pretty awesome mousetrap.

I caught three mice in my house right after I moved in. Two with glue traps and one with a normal trap. For me glue traps are not worthless, but certainly not everyone has had the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I like smart traps. I've got one now, a 6# black and tan miniature dachshund. She is what mice have nightmares about. Makes the lazy cat look pretty worthless, and she's sitting here helping me type this. Pretty awesome mousetrap.
    My toller didn't even notice dead mice. But she is very pretty.