Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work platforms / tables for cutting sheets with track saw?

Work platforms / tables for cutting sheets with track saw?

There are lots of threads about the various track saws, blades, et cetera - but I couldn't find anything about work platforms for cutting 4x8 sheets. Other than the obvious dual Festool MFT/3s, which cost minimum $1000.

I'm probably going to build a Ron Paulk Work Bench II when I start building a cabin next year, but in the meantime I was looking for any portable / collapsible solutions that others might have. While I do have a 4x8 workbench top in my garage shop that I had originally thought would be perfect, I always have stuff on there - plus I have a bench vise in the corner that I'd forgotten about.

So...is there something more elegant than a couple of sawhorses?

I think this is one of the best that I have found. He also sells the plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YzIwK-g0E

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    That IS nice! And plans are under $10. My only hesitation is that it's pretty Systainer-oriented and I have, so far, managed to resist that Kool-aid.

I made up one similar to the video using the available DIY parts.

Mounted the parts on a 3/4x2x4 ply sheet and sit it on top of a pair of horses at job sites.

http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezt2200.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YzIwK-g0E
    Yep, very cool workstation

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post

Mounted the parts on a 3/4x2x4 ply sheet and sit it on top of a pair of horses at job sites.
    I like the looks of that - how do the plastic rails feel in practice?

In general, I think I prefer several single function pieces to one multi-function. Like on my boat, I have separate depth / chartplotter / radar / video displays. Takes up more space but allows me to buy best of breed pieces and upgrade / replace with more flexibility.

So this EZSMART system is just for cutting up panels. Not for storing tools, mounting a table saw, use as a scaffold, et cetera. It was interesting to watch the video - they didn't describe the table, but it sure seemed like it used folding conference table legs which are very cost effective.

The 'track' set.... the plastic parts that hold the sacrificial 1x can be mounted on pretty much any surface you choose. Any stuff you put under that surface is up to you.
    I just use the top as a cutting surface primarily because it can handle sheets and is convenient for a track saw.

If you want a do it all system your probably looking at something like Fedel posted and modified for your own use.

As far as how the plastic rails feel, they work. They just slide to accommodate what surface size you need. I've ripped two full sheets of 3/4 stacked on top of it with no problem. I don't pull the rails apart to store, it'll all compact down to the 2x4 and I have two hinged sides that swing up to keep the rails from sliding apart during transport.

I don't pull the rails apart to store, it'll all compact down to the 2x4 and I have two hinged sides that swing up to keep the rails from sliding apart during transport.
    I wondered how they stopped from sliding! I think I'd use a nylon web strap to cinch. I have a folding plastic conference table that this could then strap to.

Portable and fast is a 3' x 6' 8" solid core door panel set on a couple of portable saw horses. Big enough to hold a 4x8 plywood sheet , cheap enough to be sacrificial, and importantly flat enough to ensure accurate cuts with the track saw. The "systems" are really nice but as you intend to build a Paulk Table soon I would jeep the temporary set up simple.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

+1 on the EZ smart table. Have used it for a few years on sawhorses with no complaints. Handles an 8 x 4 sheet and stores in little space.

Cliff

http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezt2200.htm

The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Festool Owners Group forum has several good threads on DIY sheet good cutting tables. One will come up when you search for "Cutting/work table" at the FOG.

Sawhorses are the elegant solution. My sawhorses (shopmade) fold along the spine, so they're very easy to store, or to throw in the truck. For each sawhorse, I made a scrap-wood U-channel. The U-channel just drops over the top of the horse. The plywood to be cut sits on the U-channels on top of the sawhorses. Each cut on the plywood cuts a bit into the U-channels. Every few years I make a new set of U-channels. The U-channels are small, so you can easily find someplace to store them. In my shop, compact storage is a very good thing.
    And, of course, this approach is inexpensive. Presuming you have sawhorses, the entire cost is a few scrap-wood U-channels. Heck, even if you buy wood to make them, you're out $20, max.

If all you want to do is break down sheet goods with a track saw, keep it simple. I use 2 24" pieces of rigid foam board on saw horses, works great and the foam also aids dust extraction.

Here's pics of my tracksaw platform, as outlined in my previous post.

Here's my folding sawhorses. These are 22" tall. Of course, you can use any horses you like for the tracksaw platform.

foldingsawhorses.jpg

Here's a close-up of the ablative U-channel on top of one horse. As you can see, over the years there's been lots of wood chewed off the top surface. In a couple more years I'll make new ones.

Uchannelhorses.jpg

And here's a pic of a long track on top of an 8'-long piece of plywood on top of three horses, each with a U-channel.

tracksawplatform.jpg