Thread: Need single gaurded light fixture

Need single gaurded light fixture

Today, I moved all my wood into a single 15' square room.

Am looking for a single fixture, with a guard over it cause I already bump and blew one out

Prefer incandescent bulb. Single fixture. Any ideas?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Flush mount LED/halogen?

How about a flush mount LED or halogen?

One light to do the whole room.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

What is the room height? Do you want ceiling mounted or hanging? Open joists or finished ceiling? How bright are you looking for? What is your price-range? Lots of questions.

Google "light bulb cage". You'll find cages to surround standard light bulbs, to protect them in rough environments.

Try Tractor Supply.

Lowes sells covers.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I googled that, and wonder if that is really what I need (protruding down over a bulb).

Have rafters in a square room, 15 foot square. ceiling 8 feet high. Average basement. Vertically stored lumber around the walls. Thank heavens.

some of the flush mounts in amazon look good, but are $100 or more, and am not sure about coverage/lumens/candles

My main shop is packed with old fluorescents, I love them, but would like a recessed cheap single fixture if possible. Can you still pay a little and get a lot with anything?
    David

Blog Entries
    +1 on the flat mount LED. Look for something in the 2700 kelvin range for light identical to an incandescent bulb. This is VERY important, as anything over 3200 is stark hideous white. The 2700k warm white is virtually indistinguishable from the color of incandescent.

Keep in mind that you won't be replacing bulbs and you also will save energy. Additional there is much less heat generated- a plus for me in the tropics.

As as a rule of thumb, 800 lumens equals one 60 watt bulb, but keep in mind that an LED light directs the light where you need it and has less "stray light." Still, 800 lumens to 60 watts gives you something to go by. Any good LED light will give you the lumens and temperature/color of the light.

Amazon has a $10 guard that attaches to the plain fixture, while i check out the Malcom idea. My worry is the spread of light-not an issue w a bulb
    David

Blog Entries
    Recently on Ask This Old House, they replaced a regular light bulb with a screw in LED domed low profile light call a spin light They also come in a pull chain variety.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

HD carries similar light. Called a 7 in LED, retails for about $20. Recently added one to our pantry. Screws onto a regular keyless fixture, AKA, light bulb socket. For a 15' square area, you will probably need two.

What finally happened is after considering all factors i replacdd the plastic screw in bulb fixture w ceramic, got a sort of plastic cage/guard from amazon, and cause the 200w bulb then too long-protruded about 3/4 " from bottom of guard.... Got a shorter 200w bulb from Light Bulb Depot-very nice folks there. Just put bulb in. Works great. Total cost ~$25.
    David