Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing nature of the turners forum?

Changing nature of the turners forum?

Is it just me, or do others see a changing nature of the turners forum? I don't think there are near as many pics of latest turnings as there used to be. I am guilty! I have not turned as much in the last few months, and I also don't always post pics of many things I do turn, because they are similar to other things I posted before.

Seems the turners forum has most conversation about tools or technical "how-to" all of which I like, but I would like to see many post their work again! I guess, the next project I turn will have to be posted, no matter what it is! Can't post an observation like this and not post myself!

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the same?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

It has changed, and I was about to abandon SMC when I was asked to become a moderator and I changed my mind.

It has changed partly because many of the members from 3-4 years ago have moved on, either too busy with their art or production turning to spend nearly as much time on-line. Others perhaps with health issues have dropped by the wayside, we are an ageing group after all.

These members have been replaced with a new crop of new voices, some 'newbys', some experienced, many with repeats of questions asked and answered many times. but others with new issues, new insights. And partly its appearance to have changed is just a perception because some of us are not newbys any more and are answering more questions than we ask, and partly because some of us have become more comfortable with our skills and do not feel the need for the feedback.

This forum has helped produce several outstanding turners as both a source of constructive criticism and inspiration, and I hope it continues to do so. So yes Roger, post those pictures and I will try to post more also.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I for one find there are too many places to post. Sawmill, WoW, Woodturners Unlimited, AAW, Facebook etc. (I belong to 8 different groups). I think this is the best place for beginners, and to post technical questions; but as far as showing work, I think the feedback is stronger in other places.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Hi Roger. I have seen pictures posted of some very beautiful projects. Some of us may be intimidated by those pictures and apprehensive about posting our own pics. I really do like the "how-to" and tool posts as well. I also like shop and jig pics. I've learned a lot via the creativity of other more talented turners. As to tools, reading posts about them has cost me some $$, but having good quality tools makes turning even more fun.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I tend to agree with John about the feedback. Unless you specifically request critical feedback you are unlikely to get it. Also you will get several "that's nice" comments for each suggestion. That is both good and bad, but I do think constructive criticism was a good part of my learning curve and helped by this forum.

When I post pics here of something, and when I look at pics of others work here, it is not just to give or receive critique,.........that is okay, but I just like to see what others are doing on the lathe. If I want to really get my ears chewed, I agree with John also.......post on WOW! Back when I was a newbie, the best info I got was from a few seasoned turners here on SMC.

Maybe I am a bit different........I like the interaction we "creekers" have, and that is the main reason I go to this and other forums.......of course, that has its downsides once in a while as well, but for the most part, I realize that if it were not for these forums, that some turners who I may never meet and are from different parts of the country or world, for that matter, would be strangers to me and their fabulous work as well.

Folks like Terry Scott, Mike Foster, John Keeton, etc.......[I could insert hundreds of names here,] but I would not get to know the broad spectrum and body of wood turned art and even some personalities if it were not for the forums.

I think we should all try and post some work.......at least occasionally! I would also encourage anyone to not be intimidated........this is a supportive community that will help guide you to greater achievement in turning if you will participate! This is not a contest about who is the best, but a learning forum, so when we get attaboys, then super! When we get constructive criticism.......even better! My $.02!

It wasn’t that long ago that I started turning (Oct 04) and I vividly remember the frustrations that went along with trying to figure things out for myself. At the time I had no one to turn to for assistance and just figured things out as I went along. I eventually bought a computer, found SMC and joined, although at the time I had no intention of posting anything. I read everything I could in the forum and got to know some of the main players through their posts. Until that point, I had never participated in anything online, had zero experience in emails, messaging, etc and felt extremely out of my element. I really wanted to improve my turning skills, so despite my nerves, decided to speed up the learning process by interacting, posting my work and eventually asking for critiques. It worked!

Participation on any forum fluctuates over time. Many of the skilled turners that were on the Creek when I first started have moved on to other hobbies, other sites or just stopped going online. The Creek has always helped the new turner, answered questions time and again and always tried to make the new guy feel welcome. I have seen a flow pattern within the forum where the new member asks all sorts of questions while learning how to turn. Within a few months, or a little longer, that same member is then answering those same questions for the ‘new’ members. Some folks stay here so they can help the new members. Many stay because of the friendships they have developed while participating here.

Thing is, you get out of the site exactly what you put into it. Want your work to be critiqued? Then learn what a good critique is and how to give one! (check out the Master Sticky for a great critique list) Believe me, it is not as easy as requesting one! Want the forum to be more active? Then you become more active! Wish others posted their work? Well, you get how this interaction thing works…

One other key thing – DO NOT be intimidated by what another turner has created! The turners here on Sawmill Creek cover all skill levels – from the beginning amateur to the professional – but we are all learning and it’s a lot more fun when we do it together!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Amen, Steve!

I for one am really shy and don't think my work worthy. I've been turning for a couple of years, off and on due to health issues. I take C&C well I just don't think I'm good enough to post my work. just me though.

Cheers,
    Marc

Marc - I totally understand and is also why I posted about my experience. It does take a certain amount of nerve to start posting but once you realize that we all love woodturning - and share that enthusiasm - the nerves will go away. It is SO much faster to learn when you get real feedback on your questions, your turnings or when you help others. Give it a try... or if it would make you feel more comfortable - PM someone to ask questions of or to critique your work.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I, for one, just haven't spent much time at the lathe in the last 5 months. That is why I haven't posted pieces....anywhere, for that matter. My fun time was interrupted by a bunch of need to do stuff. That is dying down now and I will finally get back out there, but knowing what I have planned, the pieces won't be done for a little while!

I do, however, see the eb and flow of participation and not just here. I will always be checking out and helping on Sawmill Creek, because it is where I started in '09 and without the input, critiques and assistance....I would NOT be at my current level. I also owe my time here with the numerous friends that I have made in the turning world and kept even outside the realm of online woodturning.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Roger and others, I to have noticed the change. I have missed the works and well thought out comments of many that have gone missing. I, myself have not post very much, work is often too like a previous turning. Health issues and other things interfere with getting pics and posting. I am doing a lot of turnings but don't know how many years are left for me. I appreciate the creek, may it keep turning along. Allan.
    C&C WELCOME

Roger
    This falls right in with a thread I just started over on WoodNet... Where have all the... names gone.
    As I noted there, a lot have moved over the Facebook, I've seen a lot (Glen Lucas, Richard Raffan, etc) on "Wood Turners around the Globe"
    One thing I like about that group, is the number of posters from outside the US, I often have to use the "translation" software as the poster is Korean, Iraqi, eetc
    Lots of photos and videos. Glen posted a video of him doing some turning this week and Bill Grumbine posted some photos of a massive table pedestal he just did.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Roger
    This falls right in with a thread I just started over on WoodNet... Where have all the... names gone.
    As I noted there, a lot have moved over the Facebook, I've seen a lot (Glen Lucas, Richard Raffan, etc) on "Wood Turners around the Globe"
    One thing I like about that group, is the number of posters from outside the US, I often have to use the "translation" software as the poster is Korean, Iraqi, eetc
    Lots of photos and videos. Glen posted a video of him doing some turning this week and Bill Grumbine posted some photos of a massive table pedestal he just did.
    Ralph.......do you have a link? PM me if you do, please.....thanks!

I still visit almost every day, but the reason I post is to learn and improve. It got to the point where a post would get 2 or 3 atta boys instead of any requested feedback or critique. At the same time, for example, someone might get 25 responses to the standard "what is the best sandpaper" question that is usually asked every week. For me, the reward doesn't equal the effort any more.