Thread: Estate sale score... Chisel help ID please.

Estate sale score... Chisel help ID please.

So, my daughter and I pulled up into a nice estate sale late this morning-remember, this is in Georgia-where a Handyman 102 is considered a priceless antique.

We go into the garage and see-believe it or not-TWO Handyman 102's and some newer junky power tools. We go inside and I see a neat old twin beam marking gauge and put it into my basket. I ask the guy at the desk if he's got any more old tools-he says there's a plane in the garage and that I should've been there yesterday because they had some tools made by Winchester that he'd never seen before. I told him I already saw the planes there and he says, no, the OTHER garage. I figured I'd go check out the remaining Handyman then go home. I get out there and I find the best plane I've ever seen "in the wild" (Georgia, remember). A Stanley #10 very early-L. Bailey chipbreaker, dated lateral adjuster, dated depth knob, extremely thin casting. Downside is two hangholes and this is the only plane I've ever seen with 0% Japanning (???) so it's no collector by any means, but I bet I never see another in these parts. The chisel is just an old half inch firmer. It is marked "D E" with an arrow going through the letters with "Trade" above the logo and "Mark" below. Any idea on the maker"

Marking gauge is very old and very well used but I just liked it and thought I could put it to use. Putty knife has what looks to be rosewood handles so I got it too. Out the door for $35. Sorry, couldn't get the pic to upload.
    Last edited by Clisby Clark; 01-17-2015 at 7:49 PM.

Congrats on the find. I love to go to Estate Sales but they do make me alternate between joyful and depressed. I'm joyful when I find a tool(s) that I really want and then i'm depressed when they're auctioned off and I can't afford them. I'm joyful when I win the bid and then I'm depressed thinking about how much love and money the original owner paid for that (plane, chisel, etc.) and I grabbed for $1. So estate sales are fun but I feel bad in a lot of ways for the family. I'm sure buyers at my estate sale when I'm gone will feel that way too so it's all good.

That would most likely be a Diamond Edge chisel. I think they were a Hardware store brand related to shapleigh Hardware chain whivh was based in St. Louis - I think.
    I had a long 1 inch DE was excellent but I gave it to someone who had a good use for such a large chisel. Would have kept it if it had been a smaller size.

Alfred

I have a diamond edge gouge, just says "Diamond Edge". I found this trademark on a google search. Sounds like what you are describing.

Yep. Very similar. I'm sure that's it. Thanks all! Sorry for not including the "score" in original post. I've edited it now!

Yes, Diamond Edge was a Shapleigh Hardware house brand. They had a large line of tools made by various manufacturers which were marked thus (I have a very pretty Diamond Edge brace which is a little odd as it has no edge at all).
    Last edited by John Vernier; 01-18-2015 at 9:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Here is some history of the company:

http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf

I have a scythe with a Shapleigh logo from before the Diamond Edge logo circa 1864.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Putty knives are a well kept secret. I always look at the old putty knives, there are some really nice ones out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Putty knives are a well kept secret. I always look at the old putty knives, there are some really nice ones out there.
    One of my favorites is one with a very thick blade. one of mine is almost 3/32" thick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)