Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many saws, and why?

Blog Entries
    I would be interested in knowing how many saws Jim has in his till? You note that he didn't mention it.

Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Monty,

My background is carpentry from years ago, although now it amounts to an unpaid hobby working on my house and that of the kids on occasion. Back then I used two cross cut saws, an 8 and a 12. The 8 for rough work/framing work and the 12 for finish work. It was handy to have the 8, even though Skill saws were widely used, because it was handy to just grab the hand saw for a small job rather than run an extension cord and get out the circular saw.

Carpenters like to use big saws, 26" saws, at least the ones I worked with used that size, if they used hand saws. I did work for a fellow that was pretty short, and the 26" might have given him problems, but then he didn't use hand saws much. I also used a rip saw as did some of the fellows I worked with, again 26" or even better a 28" if you had one. Then I used two rip saws, and I still use two rip saws, a 4 1/2 and a 7. The 4 1/2 is better for rough heavy work, the 7 is better for fine or finish work. I would like to add an 8 as well.

My saws are primarily old Disstons, mostly D-8s and others about that speed. If I had a chance to get a Disston 12, at a cheap (make that reasonable) price, it would get added. Would I take any of my D-8s out to make room....it won't happen, they will stay, and I will add the 12.

Other guys like to add panel saws for some types of fine cabinet, furniture, or finish work, etc. I probably will add a cross cut and a rip of that size. You get the point....saws have a habit of multiplying in the box. As soon as I get more time to build a better storage/tool chest (or something similar) set up and restore some more of my other stored saws, they will get added.

I am not a golfer, but saws are a little like golf clubs to some of us. Can a person play golf with only 3 or 4 clubs.....sure.....but do you see many golfers with only 3 or 4 clubs?

You get the point....the saws multiply.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-18-2015 at 4:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Monty,
    A less flippant answer than I gave earlier is that there is a Popular Woodworking Video you can download for a few dollars. It is "Ron Herman Handsaws". If you watch it, a lot of the serious questions you ask will be answered. He talks about the saw tills his company take on a project.

While you are at it, He has another video on sharpening. It is the best video on sharpening hand saws I've ever watched.

If you can watch these two videos, you will probably know what you want to do about saws. If you decide to buy old handsaws, a knowledge about sharpening will be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    You get the point....the saws multiply.

Stew
    That's an understatement.
    I think there's magnetism involved.

Tides, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Carpenters like to use big saws, 26" saws, at least the ones I worked with used that size, if they used hand saws. I did work for a fellow that was pretty short, and the 26" might have given him problems, but then he didn't use hand saws much. I also used a rip saw as did some of the fellows I worked with, again 26" or even better a 28" if you had one.

Other guys like to add panel saws for some types of fine cabinet, furniture, or finish work, etc. I probably will add a cross cut and a rip of that size.
    So... that brings up another related question that has been percolating thru my brain the last day or two... from the reading I've been doing, I take it that the term 'panel' saw, whether rip or cross-cut, usually referred to something in the 16-24" range, used on dry, seasoned lumber, generally inside a cabinet or furniture shop. Which sounds an awful lot like what probably the majority of people here are using theirs for, right? I'm 6'4", with long arms (but short legs, go figure). Is a 20" panel saw going to be uncomfortably short/small for me? Should I hold out for a 24-26"+ version?

Monte,

I am not a very big guy and I use the bigger saws, that is what I have always used and it's also what I have restored. However I think I may have one panel saw in the saw storage box. I do just fine with the bigger saws, use a 12 for fine work, and it does a great job.

That said, Chris Schwarz, in his book "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" mentions using only panel saws in the section on hand saws. He says you will find primarily 26" saws in the used market because that's what carpenters used and liked. However he says that panel saws are the ones primarily used for furniture work, you don't need the size, and weight of the bigger size. He also mentions that they are easier to store in a tool chest. I am fairly sure I have read that Chris is 6' 4'' tall also, and he uses panel saws so they seem to work fine for big guys.

I bought a couple small panel saws for when my grandchildren grow into them, they have 16" and a little over 16" blades, and after cleaning one of them up decided to give it a go. I was incredibly pleasantly surprised. The saw worked great, and I had no trouble cutting to a line with it. Based on my small amount of experience, I don't think you would have any problem with a panel saw, and I would kind of like to get a couple.

That is a bit of a problem....I have a little bit of a saw problem.....I don't need any more hand saws....I need to keep reminding myself of that....I have other tools that I need worse.....and don't have an unlimited amount of money or storage space......but it sure is fun to look at them. From reading on this forum, I know that there are those that have much bigger saw problem than I do.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-18-2015 at 9:51 PM.

Monte, the Ron Herman DVDs will answer many of your questions. Pay close attention when he discusses the relationship of saw length and saw bench, and how both relate to you and your physical parameters.
    About your "other" hobby....which discipline and what are your "tools"? I have a similar affliction. PM me on that subject.
    Tom