Thread: Color in walnut bowl

Color in walnut bowl

This 4 x 7 bowl really shows neat colors when placed in direct sunlight. Besides the yellow and orange that you can see in the photo there are small areas of green and other color variations. I liked it better when it had a larger bead for the lip and when it was glossy. However my wife claimed the bowl and I got the last word in that discussion. I said "yes dear" and made it less shiny.

Walnut color.jpg walnut Color side.jpg walnut color bottom.jpg

Beautiful piece of wood and very nice work.
    Wally

Thanks Wally, I see that we are almost neighbors. Pat and I are originally from Aberdeen. Now living in the Twin Cities.

Very, very nice work and wood.

Beautiful form and color. That is awesome walnut.
    USMC '97-'01

Hi Paul,
    How was this finished?
    Be Blessed

George

I love the shape, color is outstanding and would also like to know the finish. Nice job Paul.

The finish was a few coats of antique oil. It was getting fairly glossy, but my wife wanted it less glossy so I sanded it with 600 grit and sprayed it with Minwax Polyurethane satin from a rattle can. I gave the piece at least a week after the last coat of AO to cure. I also stored it on a high shelf in our boiler room to hurry the cure. I don't do that until the finish feels dry to the touch. I don't believe there is a fire hazard, but don't take any chances.

The walnut came from a neighbor's tree. The two pieces of the trunk that I took home were a little over 2 feet by 3 feet. Since I turn on a midi that is a lot of wood. I was really surprised by all of the colors when I first cut it into manageable sized pieces. They have dimmed some over time, but still very colorful.

Thats a nice finish from a rattle can, Paul. I've never had good results in my attempts with spray finishes. You appear to have mastered it!
    My wife likes the glossier pieces. I don't. The finish on this is what I like on most pieces. It's funny how when I show stuff to people, they usually like the glossy stuff best. It's nice we have options for both.
    Be Blessed

George

Really nice. Love the color. I have a dozen or so walnut boards going to kiln this week. Can't wait. One of my favorites.

I thought the colors showed better when it was glossy, and I do tend to like glossy while my wife prefers satin finishes.

Very nice Paul. I like the finish. It is interesting on some things I like the soft satin finish and on other things I like the gloss. You didn't say what the dimensions were.

It is 4 x 7. Wall is 1/4 to 3/8 inch it varies a little thicker near the bottom and of course the rim is thicker.

Nice looking walnut. Pretty scarce here but there are a few in nearby towns I keep an eye on.

Paul, I know you can never really tell how large or small a turning is by its picture, but I did not expect it to be that large. Very well proportioned.