Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinet build

Blog Entries

Cabinet build

Hello Walnut!

....Never again!

Not flat

Flat.

I plan to bias the centerline away from the sapwood. I don't mind sapwood but I do try to minimize it on more formal work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian,

Extremely nice looking stuff, and a very nice rip job.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Thanks Stew.

I think I'll find another method for ripping this big stuff though (10" wide), I was cutting between other work and it took me literally the entire day. I wasnt sawing for 8 hours straight, but it was pretty slow going.

That pic labelled not flat is after a bit of work with the jack plane to level it out, but all in all I was happy with the result since I was able to maintain the .75" I was shooting for.

Can you come and clean my shop out?

Blog Entries
    Lol! I'll trade services for all of the planes I uncover

it was pretty slow going.
    Beautiful wood !
    As far as the speed problem . . . walnut is pretty friendly stuff. It is nice to cut
    So I have to ask or mention maybe a change in the teeth geometry is in order and the have to ask part
    pardon the stupid question
    but
    is the saw passably sharp ?

Probably the teeth are too fine for that much plank and the saw was floating on all the saw dust.
    Once you work out what the problems are you will enjoy cutting a plank like that in walnut again / don't give up.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-19-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Winton, I cannot wait to see how the other boards bookmatch.

I'm sure there is much I can improve upon, sawing is something I've got to improve. I can work tenons and such, but when it comes to long rips I have much to work on. I would like a coarser saw with a more aggressive tooth to start, so I may pick up a Disston and get to work.

Blog Entries
    I was surprised to see you used a panel saw to rip with.

It is a gorgeous saw though.

I wonder if they would sell you a handle to put on your own saw plate.

I don't use my rip saws that much, but I could make a handle to put on one that I have.

Blog Entries

Smile

I was inspired by the handle on the rip saw, so I created a similar handle in AutoCad. The attached jpg is shown below. If anyone wants a copy , I can send you pdf file of it. PM me if you want a copy. It is a panel saw size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, what is the length and pitch of that saw?
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Blog Entries
    Beautiful wood Brian – I love the purple highlights! Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing the rest of the project.

As R&R after completing a recent project, I am in the process of restoring a few of the old saws that have been hanging in the rafters for way too long. I think I have a few nice Disston 26"-28" rippers in the lot –#16, #7 and maybe a #12 (I can't remember off the top of my head). I would be thrilled to send one your way if you're interested. A longer plate and coarser pitch will make re-sawing a lot easier, although still not fun. I'll send you a PM and some pictures.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Mike, I appreciate the offer!

Steve, the saw is 20" with a pitch of 10 degrees, so it's not so aggressive.

If my last name was Schwarz, I'd make a pithy comment about your nice looking crotch in the first photo. And then it would go downhill from there...

Looking great,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

Steve, the saw is 20" with a pitch of 10 degrees, so it's not so aggressive.
    I think if you use something that was 26"-28" and around 4 tpi, you would find the job much easier! It would take a fraction of the time.
    By "pitch," I meant tpi (I should've just said that), but yes, going with 5° rake will also make a difference.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

As you're fully aware that is certainly not the right saw for the job. I assume that is LN's rip panel saw they sell which is a great saw and one that I use a lot on the bench for small rips and even a large tenon. But you really should be on the lookout for a 5tpi saw and sharpen it up, I promise you that you'd wonder what took you so long to get this tool in your arsenal.