Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinet build

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    If my last name was Schwarz, I'd make a pithy comment about your nice looking crotch in the first photo. And then it would go downhill from there...

Looking great,
    Chris
    hah! Indeed, thought I appreciate the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    As you're fully aware that is certainly not the right saw for the job. I assume that is LN's rip panel saw they sell which is a great saw and one that I use a lot on the bench for small rips and even a large tenon. But you really should be on the lookout for a 5tpi saw and sharpen it up, I promise you that you'd wonder what took you so long to get this tool in your arsenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    I think if you use something that was 26"-28" and around 4 tpi, you would find the job much easier! It would take a fraction of the time.
    By "pitch," I meant tpi (I should've just said that), but yes, going with 5° rake will also make a difference.
    Thanks guys, the LN is Definelty too small for this task, working on a solution. Mike has a few saws in mind.

Sorry Steve, 7 TPI. It moves through 4/4 with ease, but this saw is even challenged to cut through 8/4 rapidly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Dimensioning by hand (mostly) with exception to some saw cuts with a track saw. Jointing and thicknessing by hand.

I've been mindful to keep the sequence in tact as I cut to retain the ability to bookmatch these parts. I enjoy that effect on the work I see, it sets apart craftsman made furniture in my opinion.

I have not edge jointed or cut the side rails to thickness yet. I will be doing a frame and panel type door and the panels will be book matched walnut burl;

The sections I need are tall and thin, so those knots will be cut out.

I'm working on some paneling for the bar in my house as well which is a tiny project, so I dim'd mostly everything for that yesterday as well.

This will be contemporary style cleat hanger panels, I found 17" wide flat sawn veneers for those.

I'm jealous of your dimensioning skills.

Sap rarely seems to make its way into finer furniture. However, some of the nicest color changes can happen at that line, as in your first panel. I love a little cream in my coffee.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. The way I prioritize the cuts on a flitch usually puts the interesting wood to the far edges of a panel so that I can cut the structural members out of the straight grained stuff, which is an effect that I like in both cases.

I have experience with this same log, and the sap wood turns a medium brown over a year or two. I try my best to get everything out of one flitch for a project of this size so that all of the material is a color match.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-22-2015 at 6:57 PM. Reason: Thanks apple for changing correct words into other correctly spelled words that make very little sense.

Blog Entries
    So I had planned on band sawing these side panels to thickness, Jointed them by hand on 3 side and my father kerfed them on his table saw. Low and behold the bandsaw is too short for it, so I went at it with the Disston....whoa this made short work of it. I think it took me a total of an hour to rip both of these in half.

You can see the area which was kerfed and what was hand sawn. The saw tracked perfectly throughout so I did not have to flip the board and cut from either side.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Can you come and clean my shop out?
    Yeah, me too!

Good grief! My living room isn't even that clean!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries

Actually a bit further along at the moment, since I've been working on the web frames.

The web frames are being dovetailed in (sliding dovetails), so while I enjoy the result, the process is a bit nerve-wracking.

Nice job on the grain matching and continuing the grain as it wraps around.

Beautiful and inspiring work Brian. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    So I had planned on band sawing these side panels to thickness, Jointed them by hand on 3 side and my father kerfed them on his table saw. Low and behold the bandsaw is too short for it, so I went at it with the Disston....whoa this made short work of it. I think it took me a total of an hour to rip both of these in half.

You can see the area which was kerfed and what was hand sawn. The saw tracked perfectly throughout so I did not have to flip the board and cut from either side.
    Beautiful work Brian! Thanks for sharing the picks. I can't wait to see the rest - your care in selecting the figure will make make for a special result!
    Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Nice job on the grain matching and continuing the grain as it wraps around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McNaull View Post
    Beautiful and inspiring work Brian. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Beautiful work Brian! Thanks for sharing the picks. I can't wait to see the rest - your care in selecting the figure will make make for a special result!
    Best, Mike
    Thanks fellas! I appreciate the comments on the grain! I did my best to do the same on the doors as well. It was quite a difficult endeavor to locate a good board for this without going to a 'slab'. It was alot of extra effort, but I'm glad I did it.

Blog Entries
    Moving along with the web framing, planing the thin parts has proven tedious, so I have setup a makeshift shooting board;

Blog Entries

Beautiful work. As stated before, awesome grain matching.

How wide is your bench?

Nicely done. I don't mind admitting to being humbled by your handwork skills.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge