Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinet build

Looks great.

Why did you clamp frames to the table?

I just want to say: This thread delivers, and you can rip w/ a handsaw almost as good as I can with a bandsaw.

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents! I should have more photos a bit later.

Reinis, I am gluing up the half laps in that photo.

Brian,

It is really looking good. So does the shop. I agree with Harold, cleaner than my office other than for the first 5 minutes after after a MsBubba visit.

ken

How incredibly satisfying and inspiring. Thanks for posting these photos.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fellas, as they say 'a little OCD goes a long way'. lol.

Cruising along here with the walnut face strips;

Trimming the assembly to width

Onto sliding dovetails, I've been making these to maintain a straight edge, it's pretty easy to get out of flat with a DT plane

Marked out the depth then relieved the corners with a big chisel.

I then fit the dovetails into their respective slots.

Onto the inner panels

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries

Here's the overall so far.

Couple things I'm still working out, one being how the web framing will be located, trying to avoid screws. Likely I will pin it to the oak floating panels then dovetail those into the jamb strip.

Also have to consider my options for the base.

Looking fabulous. Curious to see the purpose of the chamfer on the bottom rail.

cheers,
    c
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Thanks Christopher!

The chamfer is the first of the recesses which will allow the drawer above it to be pulled from the bottom ledge.

I'm with Phil T. Your hand skills put my machine skills to shame. But it's your eye that I truly admire/aspire to most. Beautiful.

Thanks so much for letting us follow along. I'm somewhat in awe. A couple of questions.

I'm not sure I've seen "inner panels" of contrasting wood to line the carcass. Is there a functional reason, or is it aesthetic. And I'm not sure what you are dovetailing. Are the web frames attached to the sides with sliding dovetails. I've never attempted a project like this with all the drawers, so perhaps it would be obvious if I had.

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

Mark, I've not seen an example like this either, but I decided to put it to use so that I could use thinner material on the carcass. The outside carcass finished at 5/8" so I decided to use sliding dovetails on the web frames, they help maintain the carcass in addition to holding the drawers.

The liner in oak is not for looks since it will be hidden. I cut shallow rabbets into the web frames with a dado plane, this allows a very flat interior panel and also allowed me to work in the interior jamb.

All of this could have been accomplished without the complications by using heavier stock, but it seemed excessive to source two 8/4 slabs for this project and nothing sequenced was available in lighter stock.

The dovetail I'm referring to would be to cut a 1/2 lap dovetail on the leading edge of the liners and on the edge that meets them at the jamb. The jamb is actually captured into the frame at the top with the interior liner (top panel) by way of a dado, so I have been debating a way to avoid laminating the jamb. The bottom of the jamb will be mitered and I can add a locking joinery to the part which meets the webframe, but I will have to find a way to mount it two-three times along the length.

I could just use screws, but I feel they're not a great way to go after all of this avoidance of them.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-09-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Very nicely executed. Your work and organization skills must be far above the average. It shows in the work and the planning. Can not wait to see the finish. I did not see that you mentioned the purpose of your cabinet maybe I just missed it. Do you charge to get into or shop or to look at your tools maybe just a peek from the door?
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim! I appreciate the compliment.

This is for my mom, she wanted something for her jewelry and delicates. So I proposed that something like a plan file would do better for jewelry than whats typical. The bottom drawers for delicates.

The doors will have hangers and battens that will serve as a catch for necklaces.

I have some black leather left over from the desk I built a few years ago, so I'll likely line all the drawers in that.

Safe to say that when it's finished my wife will see it and I'll be building another.

Thanks Brian. I love that you take the time to document the build. I am learning a lot.