Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinet build

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the sentiment! I may have another instalment soon, or it may be a while. My wife is due tomorrow, but the baby seems uninterested in moving out, so it may not be until the end of next week.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Excellent build. I love the way you are doing the recess in lieu of drawer pulls. Congrats on the baby. Is this your first? I have a daughter that just turned two. It's an awesome thing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Malcolm! This is our first, we're very excited. I think I can start him off with slick chisels pretty soon, or maybe block planes.

Hearty congratulations Brian. Holding my first child was maybe the second happiest event in my life, surpassed only by holding my first grandson for the first time!

Blog Entries
    Thank you! We cant wait, my wife has accused me of 'nesting' since i've come up with about 10 things to build for his room.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-10-2015 at 11:07 AM.

I can relate! I hope to get enough time in the shop this weekend to finish a cradle I'm making. I had sent a link to plans and suggested chery since that was what I had the most of. Perfect was the reply!

We were visiting a couple of weeks ago and the discussion turned to the next piece. Turns out my son and daughter in law have become big Stickley/Craftsman fans, so I have books on order from amazon and have started sourcing QS white oak!

Congrats! My oldest son turned 14 today. We were living in a small rental house when he was born and had a great landlord. Right after congratulating us on my son's birth, he remarked that "kids make the days long and the years fly by".

Curious--will the cabinet be on a stand, sit on a table or be wall mounted?

Good luck with the new arrival

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Nice Mark, Stickley pieces will keep you busy! I'd love to see the cradle when it's finished, I may end up building a crib.

Thanks Christopher! Hah, I'm sure thats true, they days seem very short now, it will be a welcome deviation from the day escaping me.

On the cabinet, I'll be making a base for it. It's a pretty hefty piece, the overall is going to be 48"~ x 29" x 18". I think it's huge, but I'm sure it will be packed full within moments of arriving.

Blog Entries
    Taking a short break from inner case work to build the lower panel, supports and stand for the base;

I built the lower panel in strips, it was unnecessary to use wide panels for the bottom as it will remain mostly unseen and a glue up offers slightly more stability; I resawed strips from a piece of 8/4 and used those glued up to form the panel.

This is how I've been shooting the sides of these thin panels (5/8" thick) to square them up, it has been working very well....and yes that is a #7 plane that is turning out nice end grain shavings, hehehe.

Didnt take many photos of how the base members were dimensioned and constructed, I was in the heat of the moment;

Smoothing

Layout for the base through tenons, rabbets, housings and dovetails;

All dimensioning on this panel, including resawing, jointing and bringing to final dimension has been entirely by hand.

Using this for the lower trestle, though I may not since it has some interesting grain in it. I plan to see how stable it remains then decide if I will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

I barely made it past this picture, but I'm sure glad I did. Hoo boy, there's some craftsmanship in here, Brian. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I just want to say: This thread delivers, and you can rip w/ a handsaw almost as good as I can with a bandsaw.
    However, I have to diverge with Phil from here. While your cuts are nearly immaculate, where are the burn marks, I ask? You lay out your project, sapwood and all, gorgeously, but where are sporadic, unintentional dark lines from poor bandsaw rips? Where's the chaos? entropy? cats and dogs living together?

Thank you! We cant wait, my wife has accused me of 'nesting' since i've come up with about 10 things to build for his room.
    ... I feel like there's a deep pun somewhere in here about a dovetailed nest. But still, congrats to you and your growing family! If you're like me (and you seem much, much better), projects for the kid will become consuming. My wee one just got a mallet so she can help me pound joints together—and take all of the blame for any shoddy work. (It's the poorest workman who blames both his own tools and his kid's tools, yea?) Please, share any projects you do for your little one.

Brian,

As always, you do good work. I didn't see a post on the new baby....Did I miss it?

ken

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fellas.

Ken, we ran off topic for a bit, no formal announcement on the board. Once he can crawl I think I'll get him started with a block plane and a small bench, hehe.

Barry, lol, I appreciate the humor. You can tell i'm hard at work in that picture, with both the espresso cup and the ipad nearby.

Barry, lol, I appreciate the humor. You can tell i'm hard at work in that picture, with both the espresso cup and the ipad nearby.
    To kinda echo others in the thread, the workspace is terrific; I hardly needed to see more.

Now please excuse me while I steal at least five ideas from your shop.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Please, by all means. A great deal of the shop related ideas been borrowed from something I've seen elsewhere and modified for my specific use, in fact I did build threads on the small benches.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 05-01-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Looks good Brian and glad to see you keeping up the woodworking even with a growing family

Keep the posts coming; I'm stuck in armchair spectating for a while yet...

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra