Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, is the answer yes, or no ?

So, is the answer yes, or no ?

Sent an email off to the company that makes the old crock pot slow cooker that I have. Having read about lead in different brands of slow cookers and wanting to know if my old one has it , I thought that an answer from the Company would say yes or no.

This what they replied with...

Thank you for contacting Crock-Pot, a brand of Jarden Consumer Solutions. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Jarden Consumer Solutions (JCS), the distributor of Rival, is very focused on the materials that are used in the manufacture of our products. We go to great lengths to ensure that our products meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations as well as industry standards, such as the FDA regulations. JCS has not had any recalls for lead and we are being very diligent in our efforts to ensure our products are compliant with applicable regulations regarding the presence of lead.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and are happy to help if you have any further questions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, is the answer yes, it does contain Lead, or no, it does not ?

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is my opinion we are reliving the times of the tower of Babble.

My question on the pot in question would be about where it was made. Products normally used for food service do not have my trust if their origin is China. There is just too much bad press about plant managers having so much pressure to meet quotas using unapproved products to achieve their goals.

Not sure if a lead testing kit would be of any use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Made in China. Now, from what I have read , they test for the presence of Lead when the container is cold. But when heated up, some Crock Pots will test positive for leaching of Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Not sure if a lead testing kit would be of any use.

jtk
    Couldn't hurt.

They went to a lot of trouble not to give you a yes or no. I would be worried.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think all that lawyer speak means "We dont know of any lead in our product AT THIS TIME."
    Fred

Yes it has lead, yes it meets requirements (at least it did when it was made). Worried? Send it to the dump.

You could always offer to send it to the person who replied and ask if he/she would eat anything cooked in it.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Isn't there an acceptable amount of lead? IIRC, most brass faucet fixtures still have the lead in them, even the new ones.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Sounds like a politician answered your question.

I read that to say your pot isn't supposed to have lead, no one has found any lead, but they don't want to be sued if someone at the factory got "creative"* the day your pot was made.

* I used to work for a company that found lead in the plastic cover of a prototype. The factory had either used contaminated mixing equipment (the mold was ours) or had slipped a little lead into the mix (because it helps the plastic flow into the corners of the mold.) (PS- I'm sure it never happened on production parts, though I'm not sure if that vendor ever got to make any production parts.)

Quote Originally Posted by jim koepke View Post
    sometimes it is my opinion we are reliving the times of the tower of babble on.
    ...fify...
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

For legal reasons they probably don't want to absolutely say no even though they believe the item to be lead free. If they emailed you and said no lead and you found out years later it had lead you could sue and be more likely to win based on them stating it had no lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    For legal reasons they probably don't want to absolutely say no even though they believe the item to be lead free. If they emailed you and said no lead and you found out years later it had lead you could sue and be more likely to win based on them stating it had no lead.
    I read once where California lead the way on this when it came to food labeling of allergens. To cover their rears from lawsuits, food production companies doing business in California would print "may contain milk, peanuts, etc.," on the label, even if there was no chance of those ingredients being present. This made it hard for those allergic to such things to find safe foods to eat.

But, hey, let's all stay on that speeding train of ever more expensive diminishing returns when it comes to our safety...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

* I used to work for a company that found lead in the plastic cover of a prototype. The factory had either used contaminated mixing equipment (the mold was ours) or had slipped a little lead into the mix (because it helps the plastic flow into the corners of the mold.) (PS- I'm sure it never happened on production parts, though I'm not sure if that vendor ever got to make any production parts.)[/QUOTE]

"Lead" There is lead the tri-valent metal as used in solder, but also many lead compounds such as oxides, phosphites, sulfites, stearates etc. All of these are referred to as "Lead" and will test as lead. They all have differing levels of acceptablity in manufacturing and commerce. Some are not allowed at all. Some are unrestricted, and most are permitted at a certain percentage. Lead compounds are still in use as a thermal stabilizer and an acid scavenger in wire insulation. In the business of copper reclaiming the insulation is also reclaimed, and thus it is readily available to be processed into other plastic applications. This may have been the source of the "Lead" in your prototype molding.

Although asking if something contains lead seems simple enough, in fact it is a bit complex.