Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a chunk of "firewood"

Cool Bought a chunk of "firewood"

I think I could use. Ugly tote had to go
    test track.jpgugly handle.jpg
    Yep,THAT one. On a Road Trip the other day, spotted a cart full of blocks of "firewood" for 50 cents a chunk....picked out the "pick of the liter" and took it home.
    hatchet work.jpg
    Well, first I had to sharpen this thing up. The use it to work the blank down to where a scrub plane could take over
    planed edges.jpg
    After doing the edges with a Jointah type plane. Note the rear handle? It will serve as a pattern for a new one. As for the scrub plane
    Scrub plane.jpg
    windsor #33 scrub plane. Ok now have a block of wood, all dressed down
    blank of wood.jpg
    But it was a little too thick. Did some saw work, wound up just splitting it right down the middle of the thickness. Planes took away the split off areas. Laid out a few lines, by tracing off of the other tote. Then I used that as pattern to add a tenon to the bottom of the "real" tote. The "dovetail" area on the other plane was trashed by the way they added that peg-leg handle, so just a tenon will get used on the new one. Got the new handle cut out, edges rounded over, everything smoothed down. Had to narrow the tenon a bit, to fit. Installed the new handle. Gave it a coat of BLO, and set it aside
    close up tote.jpg
    Not too bad for just "firewood"??

Blog Entries
    Nice work Steven!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Roughly how long did it take?

Started this afternoon.....maybe six hours IN the shop working on it. That's counting cutting the prototype out as well.

Looks the the best $.50 deal on lumber I have ever seen.

There is enough left over for two more such totes, too.

Blog Entries
    Nice job.

Some of my best handles are made of firewood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That looks great. Man, I hadnt thought of using firewood like that.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

One of the flintlock pistols I have posted here was a chunk of walnut firewood. A friend noticed that it had a curved grain that was perfect for a pistol. He brought it to me. I let it dry for 3 or 4 years inside the house,and made the pistol from it. The curve of the wood did fit the shape of the handle perfectly. And,it had nice wrinkles where the curve was. They are called "Butt wrinkles".

The brass butt was forged from a flat piece of brass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. You have pretty nice speed judging by your posts. When I need speed I use pocket holes, still neander

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Started this afternoon.....maybe six hours IN the shop working on it. That's counting cutting the prototype out as well.

Well, glue has dried overnight, added a screw to reinforce things ( the other 22" Try has a couple nails, came that way from the seller) and tried out some shavings
    IMAG0080.jpg
    Hammer laying there is an adjuster....depth, lateral, and attitude all in one tool. Also about the best brad hammer I have ever had..

Might need to strop the iron a bit, but it seems to work......

Very nice work!!
    Jerry

Well George, here's yet another one of your creations that leaves me in awe.

I'm guessing that those who see it in person have an overwhelming urge to put their hands on it.

Interesting grain pattern on that block of wood. I've never seen diverging growth rings before. Did it come out of a crotch?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Half of the lines on the end grain shot were from a chainsaw, I think.

Seemed to be a flatsawn chunk, grain was almost straight.

Might go back past the place in the near future, I'll have to see what else he has... didn't see any crotch cuts in the cart,,,,yet.