Thread: Dust Collector Vibration

Dust Collector Vibration

How much vibration is there typically on a dust collector? I used to have the HF dust collector and never experienced any noticeable vibration. I'm not sure if there's a lot more vibration because it's just a larger motor/impeller or if something isn't right. If I leave a pencil on the bottom stand, it vibrates off.

2015-01-18153750.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jes4eY71A38

The video doesn't make it look as dramatic as it feels when you put your hand on the frame. Could it be that I just need to get some rubber pads to isolate it from the frame?

I have the portable 1.5 hp Rikon model and there is no way a pencil will stay on the base for any length of time when running. Not scientific, and probably not much help, but those are the results of my test.

Don't recognize your system, maybe you could describe it. I turned my impeller while assembling it, to see how much it wobbled, and not much. The bigger the impeller, the more important it be well balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Don't recognize your system, maybe you could describe it. I turned my impeller while assembling it, to see how much it wobbled, and not much. The bigger the impeller, the more important it be well balanced.
    It's a grizzly g1029z2. I have it mounted above a super dust deputy with a Wynn Nano filter.

With the blower cantilever mounted off the vertical 2 x 4's supported only on one end, you will get some vibration that transfers to anything else attached to your frame work. Not saying it is a bad design, but you should expect some vibration. Only you can decide if it is excessive, unless bolts , joints, etc start loosening.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    With the blower cantilever mounted off the vertical 2 x 4's supported only on one end, you will get some vibration that transfers to anything else attached to your frame work. Not saying it is a bad design, but you should expect some vibration. Only you can decide if it is excessive, unless bolts , joints, etc start loosening.

Perry
    Perry, thanks for the observation. How would you change the way it's mounted to reduce the vibration?

Extend the legs on the other side of the dust deputy to the same height. Plywood cross brace in the back and bracing in the front and on the right. Actually I do not see any cross bracing in your design.

Bracing will only go so far to reduce vibration, then comes weight.

8. I don't notice any on my HF DC.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ian, I read your post earlier but, was away from the shop. I just went out and placed a round bodied pencil on a precarious lip of my Cyclone and fired it up, let it run and then let it wind down. No visible motion of the pencil at all. there is vibration if I place my hand against the machine. My blower and cone are bolted to the wall and minimal vibration is detectable if I lay hand to wall.

I agree that your blower mount looks pretty non-rigid and oscillations could certainly setup and be transferred through the structure. You could un-mount the blower and run it setting on the ground. If it does the 'happy-dance' you will have found your culprit and can troubleshoot from there. If the blower runs smoothly off the structure, we can assume the structure or the mounting is in play.

Does the blower mount squarely up to the two verticals or are they forced into plane when you tighten the mounting bolts? You could add some surface tension to the perpendicular "arms" via plywood panels or 2x4's on either side something like:

DC brace.JPG -or- DC brace 2.JPG

The 2x4 may be better as I would like the greater angle but, you need to miss your hose of course.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-19-2015 at 2:04 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The first thing I would try would be to extend your vertical 2 x 4's to the ceiling by adding a couple of short sections. Then secure those to the ceiling, making the verticals less flexible.

Perry

+1 on stiffening the 2x structure by adding bracing. Also if you attach it to the wall it that should dampen a lot of the vibration.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I will take the blower off and see if it makes the same amount of vibration when not on the structure but I think it needs more bracing as everyone has mentioned.

Unfortunately the the entire setup is mobile as I work out of my apartment garage so I don't have it permanently mounted to the wall. But within the frame on the cart I can add additional bracing.

Would it be beneficial to add rubber pads to insulate the frame from the vibration of the motor?

I don't know they would do much, but if you were to try the rubber mounts would need to be decoupling. That is a separate bolt to attach the rubber mount to the frame and another bolt to attach the mount to the blower. Using a single bolt mount would still transfer most of the vibration, although it may be quieter.