Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate sale find - what is it?

Estate sale find - what is it?

I found this at an estate sale yesterday, and was intrigued because it looked pretty cool. I just have no idea what it is! For $2 I thought it was worth it just to find out. My first thought was some kind of honing device, but the rod is smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't know what it is but I have one. Mine came without the rod. I put a drill bit in it, 5/32 I think, and use to center drill at the lathe. It would be nice to know real purpose.

Chainsaw file holder?

It's just a pin vise, used for holding round stuff. You would normally stick a drill in there, but anything round works....anything that can be gripped by the chuck, actually. Not sure why there's a rod in there. No telling what the last owner was doing with it.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know! The smooth rod has really got me. If it was textured I would think something like a chainsaw file (though really too short for that I think) or a burnisher or knife sharpener.

It's an estate sale. Whoever got it going probably found the pin vise, and then maybe found a rod and figured out that it fits, so THIS must be a rod holding thingy. I wouldn't think about it too much. I doubt it means anything.

All I know is, before I die I'm going to combine all my tools in odd ways so the people at the estate sale can ask questions like these.

Sounds like the rod is for turning the edge on a card acraper.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Hand Held Lightning Rod
    Go Pats
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks John. A quick google image search and you're for sure right. The estate sale people didn't get to it yet, so nobody fiddled with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Hand Held Lightning Rod
    Go Pats
    Lol

Pocket hand held lighting rod, travel size!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I have seen something very similar, rod busters used them to hold round slate to mark on rebar and metal.
    Fred

That's a nice piece, you could get 15 or 20 bucks for it. I have a thing for these little tools handles similar to that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I spent 27 years in the meat packing trade. Many sharping steel are sold smooth the roughed slightly length wise with emery cloth. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Sounds like the rod is for turning the edge on a card scraper.
    Exactly. It's not a pin vise.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night