Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw - choosing between a MM16 and Felder FB-510

Bandsaw - choosing between a MM16 and Felder FB-510

Any thoughts on the choice between a Felder FB-510 and Minimax 16? They are about the same price, cutting capacity and weight. They will be used in a 400 sq ft garage shop.

The Felder has larger diameter wheels but the same resaw height. I would like to keep the overall height of the saw under 80" so that I can move it outside through the garage doors if needed. This eliminates something like the MM20.

The MM16 seems to be a very popular saw with a great reputation. Anything with the name Felder on it has good credibility too.

I can only comment on the MM16,have had one for 10 years. Very good saw. I like the guides. I get blades from my local saw shop, they order them from a shop that just makes bandsaw blades, and they are very good. Just wish they would resharpen the blades.

I was on my MM16 for about 8 years it's been a good saw
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I too have the MM 16. Great saw, lots of power & great resaw height. My only complaint is I do wish the table was larger. However most all band saws have too small table tops in my opinion. I don't know anyone who has a Felder so I can't comment on it.

MM16 great saw

Not sure where you live but drive to Ohio and buy the MM20 for sale on woodnet. Its cheaper than either of those says new. MM20 owner and its super awesome.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I purchased a Felder FB-610 last year and its a fabulous machine. I agree with Erich about the quality of Felder machines and the reputation of their company.

Both machines you are considering Erich are top notch in quality and features. I doubt you will make a mistake purchasing either one just make sure you purchase a very high quality blade for your new band saw.

I been completely satisfied with my MM-16.

the reason why I bought it was for the rigid column. I researched it out. Did not consider Felder at all.

I will say that I had to build a table to put the saw on, about 15" higher. I am 75".
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

400 sq ft can get tight if you have a lot of equipment. I would think the MM16 has a slightly smaller footprint and overall area it takes up...and it packs the same punch, so you're not giving up anything meaningful in return for the space savings. Both are super high quality machines that you'll probably be very happy with.

That said, in my opinion (just my personal experience, it may differ from others' reality/facts) from researching a bandsaw buy 2 years ago, the MM bandsaws have one thing that Felder doesn't have yet (in the US at least); MM has a huge installed base of long term users that just rave about the quality of the product over the long-term. Felder recently started making their bandsaws in house versus prior when they had them made (in Italy, where MM is made). I'm not at all saying Felder machines aren't incredibly well designed, built, etc., it's just that it will be years before their in-house made bandsaws build a long-term (10,15+ yrs) track record over a large user base. FWIW, YMMV.

Have fun with the decision, probably can't go wrong with either.

edit: I bought a FB510 2 years ago
    Last edited by Craig Behnke; 01-20-2015 at 3:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Lots of positive comments about both. I guess I'm going to have to go see these machines for myself before I can make a decision.

If you have a couple top-end, comparable machines here [which I think you do], then maybe the real question is proximity and access to service, seller's reputation, etc.? Take the best service and support - - I've done that a number of times personally and professionally.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Satisfied MM16 owner for many years now. MiniMax would be my first choice again if I needed a bigger saw or a new one due to some unfortunate circumstance. Felder wasn't in that game at the time I was buying. They are a good company, however, and hopefully that reflects in their offerings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know this was not on tge OP's list, but would a Laguna LT16HD not be in the same league as the MM and Felder?

I'd LOVE to have an MM16, but honestly I'm not sure about the new guides they're shipping with. I guess that's a matter of taste, but I really like the European guides and I'm not quite sure why they're using Carter guides now. Apparently that's an upgrade? I just don't see it. Maybe someone knowledgeable can weigh in on that. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think they only adjust from one side. Is that right or am I having an early senior moment?

Either way, guides are replaceable.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-25-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'd LOVE to have an MM16, but honestly I'm not sure about the new guides they're shipping with. I guess that's a matter of taste, but I really like the European guides and I'm not quite sure why they're using Carter guides now. Apparently that's an upgrade? I just don't see it. Maybe someone knowledgeable can weigh in on that. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think they only adjust from one side. Is that right or am I having an early senior moment?

Either way, guides are replaceable.
    John, the S400P's are available with the Euro guides now. Just an FYI.

Erik Loza
    Minimax