Thread: Waters of Kauai

Waters of Kauai

Well, I finally got the pedestal and finial redone based upon the suggestions of everyone involved. I ended up making the pedestal much larger and keeping the finial at 3". This put the golden ratio at 2/3 from the base to the widest spot on the HF and 1/3 from the widest spot to the top of the finial. I have included 3 pictures--the first is the "before" shot and the next two are the "after" shot. The woods are ebonized cherry and dyed maple burl. It is 12” tall and 7 ˝” wide. The burl has 5 coats of wipe on gloss poly and has been Beall buffed.

This piece is being entered into a show titled “Passion.” Each artist is able to submit one piece of art that represents his/her passion. I have titled the piece “Waters of Kauai.” The sponsors of the show asked for a statement of how the entered artwork represents the individual artist’s passion. So, this is what I said, “As an artist I'm passionate about turning wood and exposing the beauty that God has hidden in the wood of His trees. This particular piece of maple burl has been dyed to represent the beautiful blue waters off the island of Kauai. I love the calming effect these waters have whenever I'm snorkeling among the beautiful tropical fish in that area.”

C&C welcomed
    IMG_6494.jpg Waters of Kauai 2.jpgWaters of Kauai-1.jpg

That's a really beautiful piece of art. I think it'll make a great entry and I like your statement. The colors match really nicely, and I love the top angle detail on the finial. It keeps it ascending instead of an abrupt stop. Nice touch.
    USMC '97-'01

Great redo Steve, I like it! Best of success in the show. You really hit all the key areas of comment well I'd say.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

We just did a hands on finial session at our chapter meeting on Saturday so your post is timely for me. Beautiful piece all the way around.

It is a beautiful piece and a great rework. I really think the new finial is a great improvement. The base is also much improved. I am unsure how I like the new height. IMHO it looks great as a total piece, but the new height seems to take emphasis away from the body. Good luck in the contest. May the judges prove my opinion to be all wet.

Looking good. The others have pretty well cover anything that I might add. Good luck. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Very nice, quite an improvement.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking piece the dye job really brings out all the detail of the wood.
    great job

Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate the help all of you have given. This is what makes this site so good and helpful.

Wow, thats awesome

Steve, I don't have much to add and I missed the prior thread I assume you posted about the base and finial. I think the new ones are a great improvement, but what really caught my eye was the blue dye and the grain of the wood. I haven't seen too many blues that work for me, but this does. It really looks like the waters of a coral reef.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Great looking piece and definitely an improvement on the base!