Thread: Small bowl

Blog Entries

Small bowl

Here is a small bowl I finished over the weekend size is 4 1/2 x 6 1/2. It's made from purpleheart maple and Wenge. Finished with wop. C & C welcome thanks for looking
    Mikeimage.jpg

I'm a sucker for anything maple. Big leaf, hard, curly, ambrosia, birdseye or spalted, it doesn't matter. Very nice. I can't see exactly from the picture but where is the wenge? I see 2 solid lines in the middle band but do you have it banding the rectangular pieces on the top opening also?

Segmented work is still on my to-do list. I have technically done some - staved vessels and segmented collars, but no rings yet. I'm not sure my joinery skills are up to it any more.

I think I would have gone for a little more height with the ring being a little smaller in comparison to the overall height. Maybe one more ring above and below the detail ring. Still, hats off to you for a good piece.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

That has such nice contrast. I think the form looks good personally. The finish also looks top notch. I've heard that those colorful woods can bleed into the maple during the sanding. You obviously took care to avoid this. I need to get on learning how to make a segmented turning. I probably should master some other stuff first though.
    USMC '97-'01