Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sjoberg bench question

Sjoberg bench question

Hello-

i picked up this bench and have a few questions I can't seem to answer. I tried on the net but can't find much info on the bench at all. It is a 1800bs/2200bs/2400bs, not sure which. The top is 64" wide and 24" deep. The top is 3 1/2" thick.

Does anybody know what the slots are on th right leg? I would guess support for a long piece using the face vise, but what would go in that slot? Also what about the round hole in front of the face vise on the top surface of the bench? I guess for a holdfast but it seems to be an odd size. The hole is 1.29" or 33 mm diameter. It is also sleeved with a metal ring. I would like to get a holdfast but I'm not sure what size or if that's the correct use for it. Help

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The slots AND the metal-line hole are for the holdfasts that are sold with the bench. Sjoberg benches use a holdfast with a flat bar, rather than a round rod.

Thanks. Any idea where I would get them? I just did a search and can only find a holdfast with an adjustable arm, but it's not flat and doesn't look like it could possibly fit in slot. Do they call it something else?

Blog Entries
    You might try one of their catalogs:

http://www.sjobergs.se/en/catalogue/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim-

I tried the Sjoberg site and also emailed them. No luck. None of those catalogues have my bench or anything thet would fit in those legs slots. The holdfasts they show are are too small for the hole in mine I'm pretty sure. All the newer benches have the different style tail vise and round holes for dogs.

I'm pretty sure it was for a screw type holdfast with a flat bar. The bar kept the screw upright. I've got some old catalogs, I'll take a look when I get to the shop.
    jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Haven't seen the slotted board-jack / holddown holes for awhile but, I don't rigorously shop benches. If all else fails it would be easy enough to mill some tenon stock, plug the holes and drill your own round ones.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the clamp with the flat bar. I don't use it much. It goes into 2 metal lined holes in my top and (if you buy or make slotted legs) into the legs. It works OK, but I'd have been happier without the large holes in my bench. A standard holdfast in the 3/4" dog holes is more versatile. Same for holdfasts in the legs.

Perhaps you can get a set of normal holdfasts and drill some 3/4" holes to suit.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    I will try to remember to take some pictures today and post them later so you have a better idea of what the Sjoberg clamp is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

How old is that bench? It doesn't strike me as any Sjobergs I've ever seen. I'm not doubting it...I'm just wondering when they were making them like that.

Thanks for the input so far. I think the bench is about 15 years old or so? If you google the model 1800 bs you can find them for sale on a site, I think in England for about 800 pounds (whatever that converts to). Also they have the premade cabinets that go underneath. When you click on the products for more info it just says the model is no longer available and directs you to the Elite line they sell. Tried calling and emailing Sjoberg with zero success so far. Frustrating

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    How old is that bench? It doesn't strike me as any Sjobergs I've ever seen. I'm not doubting it...I'm just wondering when they were making them like that.
    Maybe the telephone underneath is a clue?

jtk

Good point. Old bench, old phone, maybe I should use a newer one to call Sweeden.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Thanks for the input so far. I think the bench is about 15 years old or so? If you google the model 1800 bs you can find them for sale on a site, I think in England for about 800 pounds (whatever that converts to). Also they have the premade cabinets that go underneath. When you click on the products for more info it just says the model is no longer available and directs you to the Elite line they sell. Tried calling and emailing Sjoberg with zero success so far. Frustrating
    When did you e-mail them. Give them a couple of days. They're overseas and are on a different schedule than we are. When I had a problem, they e-mailed me back in a couple of days and resolved it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe the telephone underneath is a clue?

jtk
    Coffee on the monitor
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler