Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: standard Formula for price on Trophy, Plaques, medals

standard Formula for price on Trophy, Plaques, medals

Still in the process of starting up my trophy business.
    I'm wondering if there is any sort of standard formula used for determining the mark up price on trophies, plaques, medals, and other awards?
    In my sign business I have always taken my material costs and generally multiplied by 5 or 6 to get my retail price.
    Can anyone suggest what the mark up should be on my products?

I simply did a spreadsheet, in which I input...

1- The size of the plate I'm making.
    2- The engraving area.
    3- The cutting length.
    4- The time to set up the job.
    5- The time to clean / pack.
    6- The freight costs.
    7- The cost per sq cm of the material I'm using.

Just set your desired machine / artwork setup rates per minute and go from there.

You can fine tune with experience. Do a few samples and accurately monitor your times etc.

Cost obviously changes with quantities, be realistic with your data in and you'll get good data out.

IMPORTANT - Remember that when you suddenly have an expensive repair / replace on your machinery, you will wish that you had made an allowance for repair / upgrade of equipment.

cheers and good luck with it...
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

On every job you should apply X% for profit plus X% for overhead in addition to your material and labor costs. The overhead fee will cover your shop expenses and replacement or repair of your machines.

Assuming your business is legal you will have insurance costs, a phone bill, electricity, rent, advertising, SSI , federal and state taxes etc so don't short yourself on the percentage you apply to your overhead fee.

I just finished a running job with hundreads of round pieces engraved and lasercut with a about price: Material costs x 20.

So multiplying it by 5 or 6 wouldn't cut it in my case.
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress

Very helpful, thanks!

Greatly Appreciated, Thanks!

Type in: Trophy or Plaque or Award on google. See pricing. That's your baseline pricing. You also have to figure in cost of living & doing business. If you live in a region where both are high, your prices will be on the higher end.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

+1 on Ross's comment. Along with the worksheet of-course. It takes both. If your worksheet comes out to $10, but the local market is at $7, you'll have a lot of unsold inventory. If your worksheet comes out to $10, but the local market is at $15, you may be busy but throwing away potential profits.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Trophies and awards , bought in , x2 , add engraving etc to that

Stuff from scratch , between 4 and 6x material cost - and if it sounds too cheap , it is and if it looks to pricey , it is.

The secret is to charge what the market will bear ... do what my opposition do.. they ask for quotes in an undercover way on various stuff so they can see where our pricing is.. you need to do the same , you need to know your market , who your competitors are and what they charge. You need to do your homework.

What you have to ultimately do is ask this question "why would anybody use me " and if you can only answer positively in terms of pricing.. you are wrong.!!!!

If you are not the only game in town with bought in awards etc - you then should not concentrate on that and then gain a competitive advantage due to creativity and articles made from scratch.
    Have a look at my site - Im massive into trophies , but the best money spinners are custom awards. Check out the acrylic awards sections for ideas.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 01-21-2015 at 1:41 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

The secret is to charge what the market will bear ... do what my opposition do..
    As an example, I'm in St. Louis, I read where guys on the west coast are getting as much as $15 for name tags. Here, if I quote $10 I can be sure I won't get the job. As a result my name tags are $10 and less--most in the $7.50 to $8.50 range if they are engraved. Less if printed.

I have a certain line of plaques that I price at $50, 40, and $30 depending on size with the 9x12 at the $50 point. These are all with a laser engraved plate or sublimated plate. I rarely engrave directly into wood. These prices are profitable and represent a competitive position that will get me a fair plaque volume.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    ...The secret is to charge what the market will bear ...
    Very true. A side note to this is it'll take a bit of sampling to arrive at a good price. For example I have a set price for a particular specialty I have. When quoted the cost, a customer may back off because the quote is way to high. For every one of those, I get at least 2 customers that will exclaim "Is that all??" and often leave a good tip on top of the charged price. You aren't going to please everyone with your pricing, so get use to it and move on.

Note: My pricing is really a bit more complex than stated, but a good businessman needs to keep some trade secrets.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    a good businessman needs to keep some trade secrets.
    LOL, too right. Having gotten to know a number of people on this forum, I'd guess that quite a large number of people don't post anything that they really do much of

We have a lobby area, or showroom (it's not much of a showroom), or whatever you want to call it. We had a lot of things we do up there. We do a lot of wholesale work. Our wholesale customers would come in, we'd walk into the lobby and they'd be staring with great focus at the smallest of details, like who's company name was on a sample we had out there. After watching it for far too long, and having one customer buy his own laser and try to compete with us, we stripped out most all of the things we do on a daily basis and replaced them with generic samples. We used to let people into our shop, now you're stopped at the door.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Having gotten to know a number of people on this forum, I'd guess that quite a large number of people don't post anything that they really do much of
    Why, whatever do you mean, Steve?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Why, whatever do you mean, Steve?
    Well, I didn't want to throw you under the bus Dan, but if everyone knew how much money you had made off of laser engraving water dishes for cats, they'd all be lining up to buy new lasers to keep up with the demand. How you get so much for them is beyond me
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    if everyone knew how much money you had made off of laser engraving water dishes for cats, they'd all be lining up to buy new lasers to keep up with the demand. How you get so much for them is beyond me
    They're ferret water dishes, thank you very much, and I add the word "premium" whenever I talk about them to potential customers.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5