Thread: Banksia Crushgrind Peppermill

Banksia Crushgrind Peppermill

I just finished this last night, just in time for a demo I'm doing tonight for Southern Piedmont Woodturners on turning a Crushgrind peppermill, a sneak peek for Tony Pridmore if he checks in!

I like the clean appearance of the top without a knob, and the Crushgrind is certainly a better mechanism with the ceramic internals.
    I guess this would be considered an update to the conventional peppermill mechanism used in my banksia peppermill from 2012 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sia-Peppermill .

I don't use epoxy or glues, and I bore out the fits with instructions I put together more consistent with Crushgrind recommendations to avoid use of glues/epoxy to hold things together.
    The stopper and base are walnut, the mid-ring is African blackwood. Acrylic tubing lines the inside. 11" tall x 2.5" diam, finished with Waterlox and buffed/waxed. C&C welcome as always.
    BanksiaPPM_CrshgrdB_900.jpg
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Tim nice job on the mill. I agree the crush grind is a much improved mill. I was wondering how you attached the walnut to the banksia? I haven't seen a banksia but I like what you did with this one.
    Fred

Hey Tim,

Your pepper mills look great and the demo was fantastic. Instruction was so clear I think even I could complete a mill and avoid major pitfalls. You obviously were very well prepared.

I had one of those "DUH!" moments while you were teaching. It had never occurred to me to measure drilling depth by counting revolutions of the tailstock's hand wheel. That was a great tip.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge at tonight's club meeting.

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Tim nice job on the mill. I agree the crush grind is a much improved mill. I was wondering how you attached the walnut to the banksia? I haven't seen a banksia but I like what you did with this one.
    Thanks Fred, I created a mortise and tenon to attach both the walnut on the bottom, and blackwood at the top of the banksia. I use Titebond2. I do wipe the blackwood with acetone till it stops bleeding most of the black on the rag before gluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pridmore View Post
    Hey Tim,

Your pepper mills look great and the demo was fantastic. Instruction was so clear I think even I could complete a mill and avoid major pitfalls. You obviously were very well prepared.

I had one of those "DUH!" moments while you were teaching. It had never occurred to me to measure drilling depth by counting revolutions of the tailstock's hand wheel. That was a great tip.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge at tonight's club meeting.

-Tony
    Thanks Tony. It was fun doing it more interactively with the group, I think it helped folks to follow along better than if I just turned at my own pace.
    Oh, as your vision starts failing for close work, you find all sorts of ways to avoid reading little lines on a ruler!
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 01-20-2015 at 11:14 PM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That's pretty cool looking, Tim.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Very Very nice, great workmanship, and you can even see the level of the peppercorns! Thanks for showing.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

That's an outstanding mill! Very creative use of the banksia pod. I have a couple pods I have been keeping for a special occasion....the wheels are turning!