Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antique Richardson saw from London.. not Newark..

antique Richardson saw from London.. not Newark..

Got an old saw at a garage sale last year.. Looks very old.. Stamped into the blade is "Richardson London" has no medallion.. 3 older style screw rivets split slot.. Does anyone have any info or possible date?

I moved the thread here to get better exposure for the OP.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Kyal and welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't list your location, where do you call home?

I'm not any help on your saw question. Maybe someone else has an answer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The Richardson Brothers Manufactured saws in Newark, New Jersey beginning around 1850. They used to primary etches on the saw plate:

IMHO the split nuts on the tote would probably date your saw to ~ around 1860-1880. I'm no expert, just what I've seen, through the shop.

All the best, Mike

The book "Hand-Saw Makers of Britain" lists two Richardsons: John Richardson, active 1842-1872, and William Richardson, active 1861-1872.
    It would help if you could post some pictures of the saw.
    For more information, you might check out the backsaw.net site. They have lots of info on British saws.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kyal smith View Post
    Got an old saw at a garage sale last year.. Looks very old.. Stamped into the blade is "Richardson London" has no medallion.. 3 older style screw rivets split slot.. Does anyone have any info or possible date?
    Simon Barley in "British Saws and Sawmakers from 1660" lists two Richardson saw makers in London (may be related, Simon indicates lack of documentation on the makers) who worked from 1855-1895. Can you show pictures of the saw? You might also want to post the pictures on http://www.backsaw.net, the forum for British saws. Of course, the mark might read "London spring steel", in which case could be made in USA.
    Cheers
    Peter

Thanks for all the information fellas.! I live in muskoka Ontario Canada.. How can I post some photos here? I also got a robert Corby pre 1850 kangaroo saw.. The stamps on the blade don't line up, that's why I think it's an older model. If I can find out how to post pictures I will..!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyal smith View Post
    Thanks for all the information fellas.! I live in muskoka Ontario Canada.. How can I post some photos here? I also got a robert Corby pre 1850 kangaroo saw.. The stamps on the blade don't line up, that's why I think it's an older model. If I can find out how to post pictures I will..!
    Kyal,

Here is something I posted a few years ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-of-June-2011

There have been some changes. Mostly it involves the Add Files dialog box. It will allow only two images uploaded at a time where the old Add Files dialog box allowed eight. There is a + symbol in the dialog box to add a second image. The total allowed for a post is eight if it hasn't changed. If you want to add more than eight, reply to your own post and you can post eight more.

You may have to use a photo application if your image file is too large.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hello Kyal

As has already been indicated, there are a couple of possible makers of your saw. The first being John Richardson, for whom I've been able to document working dates, as a saw & tool maker, from 1842 to 1884. Located at 23 Mary Street, Hampstead Rd. in 1842, he moved to 16 Leather Lane EC in 1843, where the business continued until, at least, 1884. From 1856 onward, the name was listed as John Turtle Richardson, which might suggest a second generation in the business at the same address.

The other possibility is William Richardson. The earliest date I've been able to document is 1856, at 54 Charlotte Street, Whitechapel. By 1861, he'd moved to 4 Fieldgate, Whitechapel, where he remained until, at least, 1872. By 1882, the name of the business had changed to William Richardson & Son, located at 273 Whitechapel Road E, listed as cutlers. The latest listing I could find for this firm was 1884, at the same address, as saw makers. So far, I've been unable to find either Richardson listed as saw makers in the 1891 or 1895 London directories.

Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

Quote Originally Posted by Don McConnell View Post
    Hello Kyal

As has already been indicated, there are a couple of possible makers of your saw. The first being John Richardson, for whom I've been able to document working dates, as a saw & tool maker, from 1842 to 1884. Located at 23 Mary Street, Hampstead Rd. in 1842, he moved to 16 Leather Lane EC in 1843, where the business continued until, at least, 1884. From 1856 onward, the name was listed as John Turtle Richardson, which might suggest a second generation in the business at the same address.

The other possibility is William Richardson. The earliest date I've been able to document is 1856, at 54 Charlotte Street, Whitechapel. By 1861, he'd moved to 4 Fieldgate, Whitechapel, where he remained until, at least, 1872. By 1882, the name of the business had changed to William Richardson & Son, located at 273 Whitechapel Road E, listed as cutlers. The latest listing I could find for this firm was 1884, at the same address, as saw makers. So far, I've been unable to find either Richardson listed as saw makers in the 1891 or 1895 London directories.

Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

Here are some pictures of the saw...IMG_0784.jpgIMG_0788.jpgIMG_0789.jpg

Thanks Don.. That's fascinating.!

Don,
    Thanks for the detailed information on the Richardsons. I got the information I posted from your book, so I will print out your post and put it in the book.
    Kyal,
    Nice saw! It looks like it's in very good condition. Now that you've added pictures, maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to tell you more about it.

That's an early 19th-century saw based on the shape of the handle. It looks a lot like handles from the late 1700s, although the saw makers in England were conservative enough that this style could well have persisted into the 1840s or 50s. The maker's name is stamped rather than etched on the blade, which is a practice which seems to have phased out in the 1860s or so.

Hey guys
    IT’S DON MCCONNELL !
    Hi Don !

Love your work !
    I don’t know anything about back saws . . .
    just wanted to say Hi !

So
    Hi !
    Well . . . that’s about it really . . .

Thanks

(whoa almost lost my cool there)
    PS: take this in a good way.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-22-2015 at 1:38 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Thanks John..! Really so amazing.. I knew they were old but had no idea.. Thanks again for all the help.!