Thread: Apple Spoon Rest

Apple Spoon Rest

This is one I wasn't going to post. I didn't even sign it. Roger thinks we need more pictures of our work and I agree. I want to thank Leo for encouraging me to go back to the wood pile for some dry apple wood. I had just about given up on apple due to checking problems.

This piece is a result of the panic many husbands feel as Christmas approaches and there are more boxes under the tree from SWMBO than to SWMBO. Desperately searching the malls for something she hadn't already bought for herself, I came across this on a clearance table. The ceramic bowl that came with had broken and they were trying to unload it for $5.00. They had me in a bad place.

IMG_8714.jpgIMG_8717.jpgIMG_8719.jpg

4-1/4" by 1-3/4" Mahoney's walnut oil. Comments and critiques are appreciated, including photography advice. I let the AF do the work on the first two and focused the last one manually. Despite my poor eyesight, I think I did better than the machine. All three are lighted by tungsten bulbs outside a light box and I played around with the ISO speed and different apertures in the hope of fixing some problems I've been having with depth of field. I see the lint on my backdrop. I tried the brush I use for my billiard table, but that clearly didn't work. What do you do?
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 01-20-2015 at 5:04 PM. Reason: typo
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

for removing lint ad other undesirables from fuzzy surfaces - I use tape wrapped around my hand and wipe down

First - nice project. Sometimes the small ones get the best response from SMWBO.
    I am not a photography expert, but for depth of field you need distance and zoom lens NOT macro mode.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I love it and don't see a thing wrong with the pics but then my eyes are older as well. If I didn't know about the original ceramic bowl I would think the frame was designed for wood turner use. I wonder where something like the wire frame might be purchased. Think I will do some surfing and see what I can find.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I love it and don't see a thing wrong with the pics but then my eyes are older as well. If I didn't know about the original ceramic bowl I would think the frame was designed for wood turner use. I wonder where something like the wire frame might be purchased. Think I will do some surfing and see what I can find.
    I found it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, James. I think it was only $10 with an intact bowl.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    I found it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, James. I think it was only $10 with an intact bowl.
    Thanks Doug, that is cheaper then any place I found it online. Amazon has the exact same one at about $12.50 shipped but I like this one. May have to order one and change out the bowl. Maybe Valentine's day or Mother's day.

"The best things in life are not things."

I was looking at a small maple roughed out bowl blank on the shelf today and put it back because I didn't feel like making a small plain jane bowl. Thanks for the posting, perfect use for what I've got to use.

I luv seeing practical turned items..thanks for sharing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

9. Nice project, Doug........I think your bowl looks great, especially the rim fitting over the frame.......nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great looking piece and I'm sure looks far nicer than any ceramic bowl it could have had before!

I love looking for 'things ceramic' that can be swapped out for wood. I muddle through antique stores looking for things just like that! Well done in both the thought and the final product.