Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much does one really need to spend on a new drill press?

Are you rolling it in and out of the apt ever time you need it? Or storing it outside? Size and weight of the press just became and issue as I read this.

Interesting you are wanting a DP before a router.

Most drill presses are definately quieter than a router though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yeah you nailed it... router is way too loud.

Hmmm. OT but have you ever read up on chinese water cooled spindles? You can get a 1 hp one that will run on a 110V VFD. You would need a mount for a router lift - collars or something made but it would be quieter than a drill press even. ER11 collet sized would get you to 1/4" router bits. Get a VFd with a remote keypad or mount it high off the table and it would have 6000 to 24000 rpm speed capability. If I had that kind of sound requirements that is how my routers would be.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    Guys, he said TWICE he won't consider used. Lay off. A drill press is the quietest piece of power equipment you will ever own. I have left the shop with mine running on occasion.
    NOW you tell me...

I know they are typically quiet running, but I also know they can sometimes vibrate and squeal. I'm not sure what causes the vibration but I'm pretty sure any squealing I have experienced in the past has been from misalignment or poor quality bits.

So going back a bit... would you consider it wiser to spend less on the press and use the difference to buy a high-end chuck, woodworking table, and good bits? If thats the case what do you think of the following purchase?

- Jet, Porter Cable or Steel City drill press ($320-$600)
    - Albrecht CP130 chuck... or if that is overkill then maybe a Llambrich CBB chuck ($320 or $130)
    - Veritas drill press table ($100)
    - Colt MaxiCut 10-piece forstner set... or Freud FB-100 16-piece forstner set ($330 or $200)
    - Lee Valley HSS brad point 28-piece set ($190)

Total: $940-$1540

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
    ... I woodwork on an apartment balcony. I don't have a ton of space ...
    having done recent relo of ppl into/out of apts, this makes me really nervous. maybe your apt is better built than the avg one, but i wouldn't want several hundred lbs of dead weight sitting on any balcony i've seen, never mind running in/out over a sill with a little drop-down. ground floor is another story, but otherwise ... yikes. i'm with Mike H on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walker View Post
    I myself own the Porter Cable and love it. I just don't see the need to spend a lot of money for a drill press. This is my opinion only though. As long as it drills straight, has enough power, what else do you need? The Porter Cable has plenty of power, drills straight, has a light and a laser. I will admit that the base that came with mine is a little warped and doesn't sit exactly flat, but a little shim fixes that right up.
    I have a PC also and love it; though I got mine used for $100.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with (or worked on a DP for 4 hours a day...) I would definitely take the Powermatic; but the PC does everything I need a DP for.

Of course if you need a special chuck, then your needs are obviously different than mine. If find the PC chuck to be use fine.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 01-21-2015 at 5:43 PM.

FWIW - If mobility is an issue - Had a friend buy the Jet 15" bench-mount. He is a casual user. Works great. Put it on a rolling stand. I had wheels under my first floor-mount DP - "dicey" doesn't describe it.

The 6" quill is great. I did not have that first DP, but do now [old-arn Pm 1150A-VS] - can't do without it when you do need it, but not sure it is mission-critical.

The quill lock, though - as someone noted, that is essential, IMO:
    > do the layout on the part[s]
    > scratch awl point for bit location
    > part under the DP head; lower the head and get the bit point in the target
    > hold the head down, lock the quill.
    > move the fence and rotate the part to get it all set up and locked down; clamp the part
    > release the quill lock and make hole[s]
    > I honestly don't now how else to efficiently, quickly, accurately hit the target dead-nuts first time, every time. No trials, no practices, no misses, - -- very fast.

On the Forstner bits - my take is that 28 sizes is beyond the pale - no clue what to do with all of those sizes. I have the basic 7-pc set. All I need, except the time I rebuilt a kitchen and needed a 32mm. It is somewhere in a drawer I think.

I had some junk brand to start. Then, went with Famag. Then, Colt. Use Famag as my daily driver, and the Colts come out when there is something special going on. But - to be honest - I like them both equally well.

Last - I find that I chuck up brad point bits more often than the Forstner, FWIW. I really like the LV HSS bits - I think I bought a set, and filled in some slots - - - looks like 11 dia total in the drawer/holder.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Don't worry about the balcony. Its big and sturdy with a cement floor and it doesn't overhang... it's cut into the building so it sits over the apartment below.

For what it's worth the position is even worse this side of the Atlantic - i've been searching for over a year while valiantly resisting the temptation to fold and buy a better quality but still questionable Eastern press. Commercially available new presses are either cheap and nasty with runout and end float, awkward belt speed changes, short spindle travel, narrow speed ranges, minimum reach, sloppy tables and usually no proper stops or locks - we don't even get woodworking oriented units like the Powermatic or the Delta. There is a variable speed higher end Jet available (looks sim to the PM 2800 - not 2800B), but there seem to be mixed reports about regarding its quality.

It's possible to go up market, but that tends to buy heavier duty presses which while much more accurate are much more expensive and still engineering oriented in terms of reach, spindle travel and speed ranges.

The standard advice is to buy a used classic, and there are a few UK models like the Fobco, Meddings and the like. Trouble is that with awareness of the demand for them the dealers are jumping on those that come up at auction, and prices have gone through the roof. (double the price of even a highish end eastern press and more)

Mill drills of eastern origin seem to be a mixed deal - patchy quality, belt speed changes and lacking design features like the ability to hold the head location while moving up and down the column. It's possible to go upmarket, but quality seems to remain a risk and they get into significant money. There's a few used Euro and US made mill drills that cover the bases that could be bought privately for decent money - stuff like the Arboga U2508. Trouble is the dealers have started to grab these too, and prices are going up. Parts can be very expensive indeed, or non available. On the positive side long spindle travel, x/y positioning, stops and locks, very wide speed ranges with easy gear lever changes and light milling capability make them a great option IF you get lucky and find a good one at decent money.

It's hard not to think that there's a gap in the market, but maybe people have got too used to dirt cheap but trashy presses.....
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-22-2015 at 9:14 AM.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Jared,

I would not spring for the Albrecht chuck unless you are looking for a machinist quality which isn't reqr for woodworking. A good Jacobs is plenty, but that is just my opinion. I would use the savings to buy better/more drills. I have a few sets of the LV HSS brad points and they are great. If you are likely to drill metal you could consider a drill index and a set of quality bits.

Suggest that you get a good light for your DP as it helps in accuracy.

Rather than buy a bunch of Forstner bits that you will rarely use, I would buy only the ones that you will certainly use from a quality source and add as required.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Erik - PEI?

Man - I love that province. Many afternoons well spent at the oyster bar on Malpeque Bay - eating real Malpeques and drinking beer.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Yes Kent, that is the place. I live on a 10 acre parcel about 12 miles east of Charlottetown. The summers are very nice indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Manchester View Post
    Yes Kent, that is the place. I live on a 10 acre parcel about 12 miles east of Charlottetown. The summers are very nice indeed.
    No kidding. Gotta confess, we always steer clear of C'town when we are there - too many tourists. We like the countryside. The Potato museum [have a Potato Muesum magnet on my fridge, no less] , stuff like that . PLus, we avoid the hordes of Anne of Green Gables fans.

However - we have stayed at one place with an Anne connection - a place once owned by Colleen Dewhurst - now the Inn at Bay Fortune in the far NE - had a room in the tower, no less. The restaurant was outstanding as well. Very nice facility. Beautiful place if you have any visitors looking for digs.

The Malpeques have been my favorites for many years - I die when I get to the bay and eat them right out of the bay.

My 1960's Walker Turner 14" drill press runs at all speeds with a nice smooth hum. Both my chinawnees drill presses (Harbor freight and jet) run with a constant chunk.. chunk.. chunk.. sound that just screams "low quality". All three drill holes and have always drilled any hole I asked of them. I prefer using my Wlaker Turner even though it is smaller than the harbor freight and jet drill presses.