Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best finish for antique heart pine counters

Best finish for antique heart pine counters

Wood is probably not the best choice for a counter with a sink but it's for me and I'm going to try it anyway. My species of choice is antique heart pine. The sink will be a full size double bowl under-mount that's meant for granite. For the top I will build up (or double) the edges of 3/4 material to give an 1 1/2" thickness. At the bowl however, I will leave it 3/4 and mount the sink directly to the underside of the top letting the wooden edge overhang the bowl by 1/2" or so (similar to granite applications). I will silicone this joint between stainless and wood quite well.

So for a finish I've thought of everything from WaterLox to Boos to Poly, but I'm not sure which will hold up to water the best. I will be building the top with quarter-sawn lumber and along with it's already resin-ous nature, I'd think it'll be pretty waterproof already. But I'm sure some moisture invasion is going to be inevitable. Thoughts?

I assume you're talking about a pine kitchen sink counter. Great choice if you don't mind rot, mold, and bacteria.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Pine is soft--keeping a film finish intact will be difficult. The particular choice of an undermount sink will leave endgrain needing major attention to keep out moisture. At the least, surround the sink with a solid surface countertop and then use the pine on counters that don't take such hard service. And, with pine you need to keep the moisture out since pine has very little natural rot resistence.

You're trolling, right?

Good points all (except the trolling comment), maybe I should reconsider. This sink will not get used on a daily basis so much but I really don't want a maintenance nightmare.

I wouldn't try to to discourage you from using the heart pine. But a top mount sink might be a better choice to reduce end grain exposure. My personal opinion is to use a butcher block type finish(some type oil). A film finish would probably not hold up and would be hard to repair. Oil type could be easily repaired. It will require some continued maintenance(less as time passes), but should/will develop a nice patina if properly cared for. After all you said it wouldn't get excessive use. I say go for it!

Tony Joyce
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I know little about wood finishing, but in the marine world epoxy is often used to saturate wood exposed to water. Would it be possible to saturate the end grain with epoxy while still able to produce an acceptable finish on the top?

If you use a top rim sink it will last a lot longer and require much less maintenance. I wouldn't do it with an under mount sink. An oil/varnish finish would be the easiest to maintain, but require more maintenance than a marine varnish or bar top finish.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you use a top rim sink it will last a lot longer and require much less maintenance. I wouldn't do it with an under mount sink. An oil/varnish finish would be the easiest to maintain, but require more maintenance than a marine varnish or bar top finish.

John
    Yep I agree with this and it being a questionable idea by everyone I ask. The reason I was about to do this is because I have the sink already and the pine. However common sense prevails and I am now sourcing a drop-in type sink. Anyone wanna buy an under-mount double bowl sink for cheap? Haha

Keep the under mount sink for the granite counter top you're going to want in a few years.

John

I've done a fair number of kitchen remodels & here's what water does to wood around a sink. Top mount/under mount...doesn't matter. The wood will swell and rot. But it's your home, your project, your dinero.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dulken View Post
    That product is recommended by the manufacturer for floors. I don't see any recommendation for use on food prep surfaces, nor would I even consider it.

You seem persistent in using your pine for a sink counter top. Come back here after a couple of years and let us know how that turned out.
    Scott Vroom

From the web site.

"Diamond Oil is ideal for basic finishing of any unfinished, new and newly sanded interior woodwork
    ."

I don't see "recommendation for use on food prep surfaces" on many finish products, but it doesn't mean it's not suitable.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I did one in soft maple years ago and was in touch with owners for a couple of years. Only problem they had was some
    burns from hot pans placed on counter by friends who "didn't know they were real wood" . We finished with orange shellac
    mixed fresh, and I showed them how to use it for repairs, had no problem there. Some of these things come down to
    control of job site, we made sure end grain on sink cut was coated and well caulked by not letting someone else do it. Depends on what country a job is in too; easy to find photos of foreign kitchens that have wood tops that show some wear,and yet ,have not been tossed out. And the pics are always of "charming kitchens"