Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Chest Comission

Cherry Chest Comission

Here is a cherry chest I just completed for a client. Dimensions were provide by the customer to fit a specific space.

32" width X 15" depth" X 48" height

0118150944a.jpg

Tony Joyce
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Wow that is nice. You have just made my mind up for posting a few boxes I made for Christmas gifts this year. After feeling completely inferior reading this I will post soon, may make others feel better about their projects. Haha

awesome chest and great picture.

Exceptionally nice work !

Beautiful! At first glance, I thought the drawer fronts were curly maple. Nice touch with the dovetails on the drawer supports/partitions.

That's real nice Tony,not too fancy and not too simple.Is the case half blind Dts with miterd corners?
    Thanks for sharing.Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That's real nice Tony,not too fancy and not too simple.Is the case half blind Dts with miterd corners?
    Thanks for sharing.Aj
    Thanks, not sure what you're asking. The top, bottom & drawer blades are dovetailed in front and dadoed the rest of the way.

1217141914a.jpg 1219141334a.jpg

No miters, the ends are 7/8" thick as are the drawer blades. Hope this answers your questions.

Tony Joyce
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    A beautiful piece. Getting just what you want is what drives people to come to us for custom items and I'm sure this one was a hit. Learning from others helps everyone on the forum so I have a couple of construction questions. I notice the rear screws in your web frames. Do you allow for wood movement with oversize screw holes at the rear? I'm also always looking at variations on drawers. Do the drawer sides ride on the web frames or did you employ some sort of glides? Thanks in advance for the info and thanks for showing this wonderful piece.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well they gotta be happy with that! Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A beautiful piece. Getting just what you want is what drives people to come to us for custom items and I'm sure this one was a hit. Learning from others helps everyone on the forum so I have a couple of construction questions. I notice the rear screws in your web frames. Do you allow for wood movement with oversize screw holes at the rear? I'm also always looking at variations on drawers. Do the drawer sides ride on the web frames or did you employ some sort of glides? Thanks in advance for the info and thanks for showing this wonderful piece.
    Yes a beautiful piece and yes I was curious about the screws and drawer operation too. Very nicely done.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hi tony, I was tripping on the top and bottom that make up the case on my iPad it looks miterd but my screen is small.Sometimes when I see a nice piece that I would like to make someday i noodle groove in my head all the different ways.I like the Dts on the drawer dividers looks nice and shows some skills.Thanks for sharing your work.Aj

Beautiful work, your customer has got to be thrilled with this heirloom chest.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This customer left the choice of wood & color to me, only the size was specified. She and her husband were extremely pleased with the finished product. There was also a mirror frame to go with it. I'll post a photo of it at the end.

The front drawer blade is in the dovetail & pinned. The side is aligned with an 1/8" deep dado and a domino in the end, no glue. The rear is joined with a domino and glued. The screw holes are larger than the body, just small enough for the head to hold, again no glue.

2014-12-19 13.34.30.jpg

The bottom of the drawer sides do ride on the drawer blade side web, but have a center guide to keep them centered horizontally in the hole.

2014-12-28 20.09.33.jpg

Mirror frame modeled after one at MESDA.

2015-01-14 09.20.48.jpg 2015-01-14 09.22.38.jpg

Tony Joyce
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 01-22-2015 at 6:27 PM.

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hi tony, I was tripping on the top and bottom that make up the case on my iPad it looks miterd but my screen is small.Sometimes when I see a nice piece that I would like to make someday i noodle groove in my head all the different ways.I like the Dts on the drawer dividers looks nice and shows some skills.Thanks for sharing your work.Aj
    Yea, I'm always looking at details like that too. It took me a little while to decide on the carcass construction to, but this method seemed to be the easiest to do. Once I figured out I could use the same jig to cut the dovetail and the dado it was a no drainer for me.

2014-12-17 19.15.19.jpg

Tony Joyce

Henry Ford

Amazing work! I really like the chest. If you don't mind me asking, what stain and finish did you use? I love the look of the cherry!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walker View Post
    Amazing work! I really like the chest. If you don't mind me asking, what stain and finish did you use? I love the look of the cherry!
    I didn't list the finish schedule because I usually see a lot of negative comments about the type finish I use. That said I used a week sodium hydroxide(lye) solution for the initial color and toned to get the final shade. I sprayed a SW dull rubbed pre-cat lacquer for all finish coats, about three total.

Tony Joyce

Henry Ford