Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing/protecting wood

Sean,

Your not far from where I hang out. Give me a call @ Tomball Bowl... 281 351-1831
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Shellac is a lot more durable than most people think. Use a de-waxed shellac mixed from flakes... fast drying, color fast (it never yellows) Super blonde shellac will add a light straw color to pale woods it will pop the grain of most woods.

As mentioned Walnut will lighten to a mellow reddish brown some even bordering on a tan color after a few years. If you want to keep the dark brown color add a dye to the wood before you finish it. Orange does a nice job; so do some of the dark walnut and antique walnut dyes.

My favorite "color" for black walnut is de-waxed garnet shellac. If you want a bit more protection one of the water borne finishes will not add color nor yellow.

Test your entire finishing process on scrap; prepped just as you prepped the project.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Give me a call @ Tomball Bowl.
    OK - You got my attention, Scott.

You there bowling? Or, is it your place? Or, are you always at the bar so they know where to route the calls?

Whatcha carrying for your avg?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'd recommend Target's WB alkyd varnish, EM2000, flat. Wont fill the pores too much, and the flat finish (15º, although it used to be 10º...) is very nice. Also useable for exterior pieces.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

>>>> have always put a polyurethane on it since we live in Houston tx

Not the best choice. Urethanes are attacked by th UV in sunlight. The finish will quickly begin to get cloudy, then yellow followed by cracking and peeling.

Best to use a non-poly clear coat for the best long term protection.
    Howie.........

I reco: oil, garnet shellac and then your choice of a topcoat......The oil dramatizes the walnut grain before the sealing..
    Jerry