Thread: Vertical lumber storage completed

Vertical lumber storage completed

Excuse me if these two pics are not properly posted

I hope this comes over ok. Am sitting in hospital while mother in law gets pacer.
    I had previously posted about the horiz/vert system of storage
    You are looking at 13' walls; platforms are 24" deep w about 5 degrees back slope
    Flanges spaced every foot w 2' bars
    I am super satisfied w it- it was so hard to access lumber horizontally
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Pictures didnt come over
    i will correct later. Sorry!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I would like to see some pics

I did vertical storage last winter. Big improvement over a stack of boards.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the process of converting my lumber rack from horizontal to a vertical.
    please post pictures. Looking for ideas.

Same here....

Sorry to say, No Pictures Didn't Happen NPDH

Blog Entries
    I have both and reserve the horizontal for lighter weight stuff that is easy to sift through. Vertical is the way to go for long or heavy stock. I don't usually have it spilling out onto a temporary plate like you see but, I am "pre-loaded" for a project.

Vertical Lumber Storage 001.jpgVertical Lumber Storage 004.jpgVertical Lumber Storage 007.jpg
    Vertical Lumber Storage add-on (1).jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage add-on (2).jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage add-on (3).jpg

I have tried several ways of sorting the material but, have landed on species first and then my thickness. This has been working well since the stock is ever changing.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-03-2015 at 8:18 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The only place I have enough height for vertical storage is an unheated garage, not in my shop. Would it still be worth considering, or is the unheated space too much of a drawback?

I have a two car garage with ceilings just under 10'. I am considering dedicating 80 square foot of wall space to vertical storage, assumimg that this will contain the majority of the wood I collect and use. I do have a couple 8/4X12"x14' mahogany planks that will need a home till someone wants a proper coffee table. My present plan puts these 100lb planks up, hung off the ceiling or above my tool cabinets and work bench. The other option is horizontal with a maximum of 16" in length about 5' and up off the floor. With scraps and shorts lower and more wasted space way up high, I will guess I will use 120 sqft of wall with everything horizontal and "less than convenient" to riffle through. I would be interested in hearing about what folks thought the most common lengths of of lumber used in a no-profit woodshop?

How do you ensure the boards won't bow or flex while they are stored vertically? Heck, my boards bow stored horizontally... I figured it'd be worse if vertical?

I am having no trouble at all with boards bowing while standing up, unless they are green. Dry boards seem to be stable. I put my pipe dividers at about 3/4 of the height of the length of the boards. I can get about 12' boards into vertical storage, but some places as low as 9'. I have storage in the gables of the store room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    The only place I have enough height for vertical storage is an unheated garage, not in my shop. Would it still be worth considering, or is the unheated space too much of a drawback?
    My gara . . . er shop is also uninsulated for the most part. There are also various openings at the top of the garage door and around the smaller door. I am in a desert basin so humidity is mostly low and temperature swings are high 30's in the winter nights to just over 105 in the summer days and the swings are pretty gradual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dubrow View Post
    How do you ensure the boards won't bow or flex while they are stored vertically? Heck, my boards bow stored horizontally... I figured it'd be worse if vertical?
    I would consider your source for material. Properly prepared and stored lumber will move but, not drastically. Belay that, I am speaking from my own experience in my environment. I am handicapped when it comes to locations that have actual weather so factor that in to my statement .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm sorry about not posting the pictures. The first time around I was hanging out in the hospital while ma in law got pacer. Pics did not transfer over from iPhone photos.

I tried to take pictures later with my Nikon POS digital, and they were crappy.

so, I need to get motivated again, to try and get Steve's help with being able to post the pictures (ongoing issue with me).

Having the lumber stored vertically is a MAJOR improvement. It is all nearly straight vertical. Yes, some of the wood does have a slight bow. Usually not an issue. What is a major issue is when stored horizontally, it is a major pain to get to, in fact, most of the time, I didn't even bother with the hassle of moving all the wood around to see what about that board way back there---sometimes all I could see was endgrain, it was all so buried.

Now, only stuff >8' is horizontal.

The other issue I had with horizontal is just a manpower/strength one. All that stuff just too heavy, and to be lifting on a step ladder @ awkward postures???? I'm not real smart, but that was just asking for trouble.

I will try and get motivated to post pics of my mini basement lumber yard I am so happy with!
    David