Thread: A GEM needed new boards

Cool A GEM needed new boards

Awhile back,picked up a GEM Mitrebox and a backsaw for..$10 The mitrebox is the kind that folds up when put back in a tool chest. Unfold it, clamp it to a bench of some sort, or use the holes to screw it down.
    GEM mitrebox.jpg
    There are guides for 90 and two for 45 degree cuts. I used the 90 one to cut a couple new leaves for this folder. Since the old ones were about halfway cut through, might be time for some new ones. Cut two Pine ones to length, rounded over one edge. Drilled the holes to clamp the box to a bench. Needed some pilot holes for the mounting screws
    cordless drill.jpg
    Then a test fit
    test fit.jpg
    One side pivoted without a problem. The other side took a bit of fine tuning with a block plane. Strip of sanding belt to smooth things rounded. BLO is at one coat, for now
    unfolded mitrebox.jpg
    And...it even folds up!
    folded mitre box.jpg
    Saw looks at home, too
    backsaw.jpg
    But, I need to transfer some "art work"?
    art work.jpg
    This is the old leaf, note the saw cuts. There is a "ruler" and a GEM logo on the edge. Ideas? or just stow the old ones away?

Love your stuff, Steven.

You've always got practical ideas I can steal * ahem * 'borrow'.

Blog Entries
    Can you use an old yard stick to get the measuring back on the side?

Used to be a lot of furniture dealers had those as giveaways in their stores.

As for the gem logo, you could cut that off and glue it onto the new pieces along with the yard stick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)