Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone and I am no longer ONCALL!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Well....most of the weekend was spent working for "work", BUT, Mark and I went in together on a small backhoe for various work we needed done and I got my driveway fixed, new culvert put in, replaced another culvert for a buddy that I work with. It was TOUGH working outside this weekend. It was HOT!!!!!!!

Anyway, the work is done now, the LOML is happy, I am happy, and ONCALL is OVER....at least for now.

No real shop time for me this weekend.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

A bunch of stuff....hikeing, grilling out, shopping, orgainzing the lumber rack.....more grilling out.

Got back Saturday morning at 1AM from Myrtle Beach and vacation, so Saturday was a late morning riser. Did all those things you do when you get back from being gone.

Sunday I installed door knobs, I had previously installed and then removed to get ready for the house sale, on all the interior and exterior doors. Started going through boxes that were in storage and putting away.

Rested a little.

Now back to the grind stone.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Got Up Early On Sat. Went Down To Church And Mowed The Lawn. Then Went Back Home And Drilled, Glued And Reemed Out 100 Pen Kits For The Fair Nexty Week. We Have A Both To Do Freedom Pens.
    Sun. Went To Church. Then Drove 40 Miles To Pickup Up Some Pews For Our Camp. Took Them Up To The Camp. Then Home To Restup For Today.

No woodworking, which was not unexpected this month. This was the last weekend that our girls will be with us until we can complete the whole adoption process (they fly back to Russia next Saturday...a very black day for us, I'm sure), so we had a lot of fun together with a group picnic/swim party on Saturday in Ringoes NJ and a swiming/picnic event at our good friends yesterday. I may or may not be in the shop next Sunday...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Escaped the heat of the city for my favorite body of water, Lake Superior. No sailing this weekend just hanging out taking in it's glory.

Back in the office, nose to the grind stone.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I started stock preparation for my next project. I'm still uncertain what that project will be, but most likely it'll be painted cabinets or dressers for the kids. So, I started prep on a bunch of poplar I had around.

Otherwise, had to go to work some, hung out with the family, and cleaned my truck for the first time in a long time.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I put in a new A/C in my shop this weekend. But first I had to add a window and the 220v circuit to run it so it took pretty much all weekend. When I built the shop I put in 3'0"x3'0" windows which will only open 15", not big enough for most air conditioners, so I had to add a 3'0"x4'0" to put the A/C in. I chose to add a window rather than cut a hole for the A/C for the extra light and so I can take the A/C out without leaving a hole in case I ever need to. My shop is 24x30x12 metal building with 3" of insulation(not great but okay). The insulation has reflective foil facing out. I added a 24,000 BTU unit and it appears to be about the right size. It dropped the tempature from 95 to 85 in 30 minutes. It sure beats sweating. Cool in the Heartland
    Eddie

I was on call last week...it was quiet! It's a good thing. I had two vertigo attacks...one Thursday and one Friday. Wife's in Illinois for 4 weeks so when the attack occurred Friday had to have a neighbor take me to the hospital. Symptoms are changing but so similar to a heart attack or stroke that can't afford to ignore. Saturday a little yardwork and recover from veritigo attack. They sap my strength. Sunday a little mudding work in the shop and mow the yard, paying bills and laundry.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

on Sat dressed up some poplar for a cabinet I'm making and searched all the sawmills and lumber dealers for the "perfect" curly maple slab, but found nothing. Son went to Boy Scout summer camp so my daughter and I spent the day in the pool on Sun. Was an awesome weekend.

Built a storm window for a friend. 67"X24" w/1 mullion.
    used 5/4 D select pine which is fun to work with. Sorry but the wife is out of town and has the digital camera with her so no pics.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

No shop time for me again. LOML and I went to Houston on Wed for 3 days of dog showing. I showed our puppy girl 4 times in 3 days (we didn't enter on Sunday) and did well. She won her class 3 of the 4 days, and went best puppy at the Specialty show on Thrusday. Glenna showed our vetran girl at the specialty and she won 1 of the 2 classes she was in. Glenna also showed our other girl in Agility, and came home with a first place in her Open Standard class, and some good runs with minor errors that caused her not to qualify in her Excellent Jumpers class.
    The Relaint center is a great venue for a dog show, and there are some wonderfull pictures that we will receive in the next few weeks. I'll try to share when we get them. Jim.

Zero shop time...it was a family weekend for us! Saturday Mom flew in from Denver to see her grand-daughter's very first ballet/dance performance: The Wizard of Oz. My daughter isn't quite 3 1/2 yet but as a little crow, she danced her butt off on stage! We can hardly wait to get the videos! My aunt and her husband also came up from Monterey to see my daughter's performance and then we all went out to eat at our favorite Japanese steak house in downtown San Jose. Oh, the airline managed to misplace my mother's luggage...it showed up about 24 hours later.

San Jose broke a record for heat Saturday: 96!! I know that is nothing compared to the midwest but that is warm for the Bay Area.

Mom is staying for the week and so Sunday we visited the San Francisco Zoo. Talk about a climate change! We about froze the whole time...nothing but rolling fog filled the sky and barely any sunshine poked through. Funny thing though, we all came away with some minor sunburn. We were there from the 10 am opening until the 5 pm closing...a long day of walking around and hoisting the kid up on my shoulders, fences, and rails.

As Scott put it, back to the grinder....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I figured i could take part this time, too as i did get a little shop time..
    Saturday i had to repair the car, someone put a big dent in it and some paint flaked off. Ah well.
    On Sunday i sharpened the Anant #4 i got for my birthday a few weeks ago. Out of the box it didn't work at all.. the blade just had a rough grind and alot of machining marks on the flat side. I spend a good deal of time flattening it and honing the edge (on sandpaper, freehand). This was my first hand plane sharpening exercise! Also had to tune the chipbreaker. After putting it back together i was able to get quite thin shavings on pine. I was thrilled! The surface is better than any sanding could accomplish, slick and shiny.

My wife and the boys are up in Maine playing on the beach. I worked overtime Saturday. Went and had my dive gear serviced and then bought a new home theater reciever and speakers. Got a thousand dollar Sony for around $450 got a couple hundred off the speaker set too. Spent better part of yesterday snaking walls to install the wire.(Rare Earth magnets are a very good thing!) Back to work today. I may head up to the house in Maine Thursday to join the family. Or stay home and have some cold ones and cigars. Who knows?
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.