Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New backsaw in progress

Thanks Ron. Your backsaw designs have evolved into something that's better put on the shelf and admired, than been put to good to use.

regards Stewie;

Lovely saw Stewie.
    The blackwood is beautiful.
    It always amazes me how if you were to close your eyes and grasp a handle, even without feeling its weight, it is very apparent that it is hard and dense or not. There is just a coolness to it that your mind takes as a cue that it is hard and dense. I'm sure a wood like Tasmanian Blackwood has a nice feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nice looking saw Stewie.

What? No nib?

jtk

Hi Jim. A nib on a backsaw. No thank you.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Lovely saw Stewie.
    The blackwood is beautiful.
    It always amazes me how if you were to close your eyes and grasp a handle, even without feeling its weight, it is very apparent that it is hard and dense or not. There is just a coolness to it that your mind takes as a cue that it is hard and dense. I'm sure a wood like Tasmanian Blackwood has a nice feel to it.
    Thanks Jeff.

Thanks Jim. I am hopeful that the way I have shaped of the hardback does not draw too much attention away from the saws main feature. The handle.

regards Stewie;

You could make a nib on the VERTICAL front edge of the saw plate!! NOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Thanks Ron. Your backsaw designs have evolved into something that's better put on the shelf and admired, than been put to good to use.

regards Stewie;
    Nah. First and foremost is function. How they feel and cut. But no reason one can not add a little eye candy from time to time. I even have rectangular saw plates on some of my saws. Keep up the good work. Best wishes.

Some feedback from another forum has prompted me to make a change to the way the top line of the brass hardback will end up being shaped.

The new profile now only extends 1 inch back from the front toe.

To accomplish this I have shortened the length of the saw plate from being 12 inches to now 10 inches. Not a big deal.

Hand filing the saw teeth to 14 tpi, with a fine tooth set has also been done. (I dont need a Foley Machine).

Here are the completed photo's of the backsaw.

regards Stewie;

The finish on the handle looks a little dull at the moment. The shellac still needs another week to fully harden before I can hand buff it to a higher sheen.
    Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-27-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Stewie,great looking work. You have really good skills. But,how are you establishing the spacing of the teeth? Back in the 70's,when I had no saw tooth punching machine,I would roll a coarse rotary file down the blank edge of the saw plate,tapping the rotary file with a brass hammer as I went. This left clear notches exactly spaced where I could begin filing the teeth. Worked great for fine toothed dovetail saws.

When we made a lot of saws(as toolmaker) years later,I luckily had found a "Burro" tooth punching machine made in the 1940's,I guess. It came with several racks. None were fine enough for spacing dovetail saw teeth. I took a rack and milled an extra notch in between the factory cut notches to double the # of teeth the rack would space. Took a while,but worked very well. I could adjust the motion of the ratchet pawl to either use the fine spacings,or skip them and use the original spacings. I even made myself a super fine saw for guitar frets with about 20 TPI. I can't recall how I accomplished that,though. The thickness of the blade matched the thickness of the fret tangs,minus their gripping teeth.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-28-2015 at 8:45 AM.

Hi George. I use the following program to print a paper templates of the tpi spacing I wish to use. http://www.oocities.org/plybench/saw_teeth.pdf

The template is then cut out to remove the unwanted page background, folded down the middle, and then adhered along the top edge of the tooth line with a spray adhesive. The gap between each diamond shape on the template is where I file each of the tpi notches. After all the notches have been filed, the paper template is then removed.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-28-2015 at 9:43 AM.

All work has now been completed on this backsaw.

I have included a photo showing the results of the kerf test on hardwood.

Thank you for your interest.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Most excellent work! Also thanks for the link to the saw teeth.

Thanks Malcolm. It was only after I completed the kerf tests did I realize I had forgot to put my prescription glasses on. No wonder I was battling to see the pencil lines.

Good to hear the link was worth posting.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.