Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New backsaw in progress

New backsaw in progress

Hi all. Having spent 3 to 4 months focused on making traditional hand planes, its a nice change to be working on a new backsaw build.

Here's a photo showing the assembled view of the new backsaw. Still a bit of work to finish it off.

The handle wood is Tasmanian Blackwood, and the saw plate length is 12 inches.

I have added a stepped profile along the top line of the brass hardback.

The handle shape is based on an early English design.

Stewie;

Nice work! Have you sharpened her up and tried her out yet?

The Blackwood is beautiful. Is it native to Australia? How is it to work/shape?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice, I wish I had the talent to do this.

Thanks Fred. No teeth on the saw at this stage. Its the last job I do with each of my backsaw builds. No Foley machine in my workshop. I prefer to it all by hand.

Blackwood is native to Tasmania and mainland Australia. Shaping by hand can be difficult with most Blackwood's so a little patience is required. As they say, no pain no gain.

regards Stewie;

Thanks Chris.

Stewie;

A VERY beautiful handle Stewie. I'm not sure what I think of the stepped back,but you certainly have done that neatly too. You are trying to do something distinctively yours to the design (with the back),and I understand that.

Thanks George. Appreciate your feedback.

regards Stewie;

Here is a photo of the handle in its much earlier basic form.

Stewie;

I have not worked Tasmanian blackwood. What is the difficulty in working it? I have worked African blackwood. It is nearly impossible to plane it cleanly in either direction. It really is black,and is a rosewood.

Hi George. In general blackwood is a difficult timber to plane by hand. A lot of care needs to be taken to avoid tear out. The blackwood I am using for this handle has a fiddleback pattern, that's very tightly grained. It's certainly hard work on the rasps during shaping.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-22-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Hi George

Tasmanian Blackwood - in my experience - is rather easy to work. Medium hard only, and while figured, it is not interlocked. It is almost identical to Koa, which you may have experience of as it is popular for sound boards.

Tasmanian Blackwood is one of my favourites - it has a chatoyance second to none.

Regards from Perth

Derek

well,
    i have 2 completely conflicting answers1

I have used Koa,and have a mildly figured long plank of it on hand. It has gotten very expensive. Koa has been used as wood for backs and sides,but only on a few instruments for soundboards. Martin made a Koa model. Some ukuleles are made completely from Koa. Understandably since it is a local wood to Hawaii.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-22-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking saw Stewie.

I have added a stepped profile along the top line of the brass hardback.
    What? No nib?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice saw there, Stewie. That blackwood is indeed stellar. The back reminds me of this one. IMG_1106_zps300f223b.jpg It's the ole one step two step. Best wishes.

Lovely saw, Stewie.

The handle is elegant.
    The back is flashy.

kudos