Thread: Excalibur 40-125 Router Lift vs. Woodtek Router Lift 165-545

Excalibur 40-125 Router Lift vs. Woodtek Router Lift 165-545

I have been doing some research on router lifts for a few months now. I have discovered something pretty interesting.

They look identical. I know there are a few people with the General lift, has any one had a chance to get a hands on with the woodtek? I am not sure about the warranty on either one. The woodtek is $20 cheaper.

Blog Entries
    I've been doing the same, looking for the best router lift available. They all seem to be within a few dollars and appear to be quite similar in approach, if not in exact likeness. The Kreg is available for somewhere close to $320, the Incra Master Lift II about $330, Bench Dog Pro Lift about $335, and Woodtek Deluxe about $340 and there really does not seem to be a lot of difference in quality or ease of operation. I want to use the PC router 7518 and all appear to work with this 3.25 hp motor. This does not directly answer your question which I think asks is this the same router lift. I have not seen negative feedback for any of the router lifts I am considering.

Fine Woodworking did a router lift and router table review not long ago and picked the General as best overall. I believe they did a short review of the Woodtek when it became available and said they found it equally good. That is IIRC!

If you qualify as a "Pro", you get a decent discount from Woodworkers Supply. I have several Woodtek machines that I'm very happy with. They're close enough that I can go pick anything up, so that's the main reason I bought the first machine from them, and have been back for more several times since.
    I needed a replacement base for a mortiser that came cracked. The new one came in a couple of days-no questions asked, and the guy I talked to on the phone was a pleasure to deal with. It's a good source for cabinet hardware too.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-24-2015 at 7:35 PM.

Thanks For the feedback guys. I decided to go with the Woodpeckers lift. I talked to the people there and the maintenance on the chain driven lifts may become an issue over time, something a magazine review will not be able to account for. I also went with the woodpeckers top, and that was the flattest table in the test, though it was tested in a later issue of fww. The woodpeckers system is all USA made so that is a plus.

Hello,
    I am a the Product Manager at Woodworker's Supply and the Woodtek Router lift is an item I handle. It is identical to the General and is made in the same factory. It can readily accept the 75182 PC motor without an adapter collar though they adapters are available for 3.5" and 3.25" router motors. Currenty the price is $349.99 for remaining stock, once they are gone, the price will be increased to $369.99 due to the increase for the new inventory coming from the factory. To see all the components of the sytem please go to this link:
    http://woodworker.com/routerliftcomponents.shtm

If you have any questions regarding the router lift or any other Woodtek machinery please feel free to email me at
    markl@woodworker.com.

Please note I am not attempting to solicit business on this site, but answer some of the questions raised in this thread. If anyone feels otherwise, my sincerest apology.

Best regards,
    Mark

I am in the market for both a lift and possibly a new router to go with. I also need to build a router extension table for a table saw.

What about the Jessem product? It appears Incra uses the same product. Any opinions?

I have a Bosch 1617 I have been very happy with. I want a dedicated router for this installation. The PC model 7518 is rated for 3.25 HP, but some of the reviewers were unhappy with runout and the collets.
    Woodcraft sells a Portamate (new brand for routers!) 3.25 HP motor. Any opinions?
    I am skeptical about router ratings as 15A @120V =2.4 HP if efficiency is 100%.

I am planning to use the low friction microdot style laminate for the table top. Any one else have some experience with microdot?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Booth View Post
    Woodcraft sells a Portamate (new brand for routers!) 3.25 HP motor. Any opinions?
    I am skeptical about router ratings as 15A @120V =2.4 HP if efficiency is 100%.
    Andy
    Horsepower rating is derived differently on universal motors (routers, drills, saws, shopvacs) than it is for induction motors. I think the difference is that universal motor h.p. is measured in the instant before it stalls and lets the smoke out,the induction motor rating is the max it will produce all day long without overheating. If that motor were on a Craftsman shop vac, it'd probably be rated 7 h.p.. Re the Portamate brand, I wonder if there's somebody manufacturing P-C 7518 clone motors. MLCS lists a motor that fits their lift, 4.2" diameter variable speed (10,000-22,000 RPM) for $219. MLCS # 9564.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-28-2015 at 7:08 AM.

You are right, but it still feels like cheating.

My friend purchased the Excalibur when they were first reviewed in Fine Woodworking and loves it. It was quite a bit less expensive then and they had a backlog due to the unexpected high volume of orders. Guess it's the old supply and demand scenario and the write ups from buyers fueling the rage.