Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Cabinet Saw for less than $2,000

Some old saws do have riving knives. Other have splitters. My Robinson and Wadkin both have riving knives. I have an MJ splitter on my Rockwell 12 and made a couple of splitters to fit my Whitney . The one I use most was made to sit only 1/2" above the table and is removed quickly. It's not necessary to rule out the best build to get safety. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Why wouldn't you drive 100 miles to go pick up a Powermatic 66 for $300 to $500 instead of paying $3000 for a new one half as good, quality wise. If you're that worried about quality, and want to be absolutely sure of what you're getting, just go to the OWWM website, and place a Wanted To Buy ad for a restored Powermatic 66, and that you're willing to pay, say, $1500 for it.
    First of all, old used Powermatics and Unisaws that the owner claims are in good shape are priced at $1200 to $1500 around here (within 100 miles). One that is priced at $300 to $500 is not worth hauling home for free. It is usually very rusty, needs a new fence and several other parts and has a 3-phase motor that I'm not interested in accommodating. I know because I have driven many miles and wasted many hours in the past just looking and I don't plan on doing that any more. Sorry, but I don't consider a used saw from someone who advertises on OWWM as being any indicator of the quality of the equipment they are selling. I would have to go look first. Anyway, the chances of someone selling one within even 100 miles of me is low. I know of many people, both hobbyist and professional, both on line and in person, who have bought new Grizzly cabinet saws in recent years. I have yet talked to anyone whose opinion I trusted who didn't like their purchase. For the past 40 years, I have used contractor style saws. I have built a lot of nice cabinets, furniture and smaller projects for myself and for sale to others. Quality is a relative term. Why take a risk buying from a stranger who provides no warranty and no shipping? For less money, I can have a Grizzly delivered to my door. It will have more features and a real warranty and is well liked by the vast majority of people who buy them.

I think the idea of buying old heavy iron and restoring it is great for people who enjoy that kind of work. I don't. I like woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    First of all, old used Powermatics and Unisaws that the owner claims are in good shape are priced at $1200 to $1500 around here (within 100 miles). One that is priced at $300 to $500 is not worth hauling home for free....................I don't consider a used saw from someone who advertises on OWWM as being any indicator of the quality of the equipment they are selling.
    You are in a "no-fly zone" in terms of used PM and Uni. Not true of the entire country, of course. You have a limit of 100 miles, not everyone does. Every bit of that is legit, Art - no quibbles. Kinda reminds me of the Cone of Silence in Get Smart - there is some exclusion barrier around you at 99 miles radius.

On OWWM.....

That group is, in my opinion and experience, every bit as up-front and top-shelf as the group here at SMC. At SMC, I only buy from people I "know" - never from a someone that has few posts.

At OWWM, the same would apply - I read, asked questions, and got in touch with a long-time member who had a lot of posting activity and photos of restores [that is what that gang does]. And then - sight unseen, a 600 mile one-way drive to get a DP. It was absolutely as advertised - which was beautifully refurbished. They are very clear, IMO, as to the state of the machine: proiject v restored v whatever.

So - I guess I am sticking up for the integrity of that group, as opposed to the who-the-heck-knows guy on ebay or CL - two completely different groups. I would trust the established guys on OWWM, and I never buy anything from the other 2 sites.

You should, of course, put yourself at ease and go inspect first if that is the way you are wired. No gripe there either.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I use an older Unisaw. It is a great machine and I would recommend it to others, but do take the time to add further safety equipment. I have a splitter very similar to the microjig on one throat plate and a second plate without: it only takes seconds to swap the non-splitter one in for the occasional non-through cuts I need. I have a ceiling mounted shark guard over the top and replaced the switch with one of those large paddles you sometimes see in a school (no need to look- just slap in the general direction to turn it off). I have about $500 in the saw all told. The biggest downside compared to a SS is that it is easier to be dumb and leave something off. Not a trivial downside by any means! But if I were doing it again I would go the same route. I put in new bearings and belts and there is simply nothing else to wear out, the saw will easily outlast me.

I was trimming some scroll saw work one day, a 12" panel that I had left 1/2" large so that I could correct it if the design didn't end up quite centered, splitter not on the saw. I didn't quite push it all the way past the blade before I started to lift my hand and it touched the back of the blade --- faster than the blink of an eye it was frisbeed across the room and into the back wall. It ruined the piece (4+ hours down the drain) but the risk for bodily harm was much more sobering.

Terry T
    Last edited by Terry Therneau; 01-24-2015 at 8:22 AM. Reason: grammar fix

Blog Entries
    Just hold on to your money and wait for a deal. A lot of Unisaws and Powermatics pop up on Craigslist here for under a $1000 and this would leave you room for accessories you will want and need.

6. Nick,
    I think you will be happy with an older American saw. I am not knocking the new stuff, plenty of folks like them and many are adverse to putting a little elbow grease into bringing one back to its glory, and that's all good too. To each his own I say. But in the used machine market, diligence will pay off in your search. Good deals can be found if you are patient and pay attention to condition and inspect a machine thoroughly. Look for a good PM 66 or a Unisaw, they are both good dependable machines and parts are plentiful. In many cases, a "full" restoration is not necessary, or if you like, take it to the limit. Your options are endless. My PM 66 is 53 years old and I got it from an auction for $150, put a total of about $700 in it, including a new 3 HP Leeson motor and you couldn't pry it away from me for any amount of money. Good luck hunting and keep us posted as to what you find.

191351A.jpg14.jpg

7. For just over your budget of $2000 I just yesterday picked up this Knapp saw/shaper combo off of Craigslist. It has a 60" slider, two 4 hp motors, single phase. Not a lot of these out there, and I had to drive 1600 miles round trip to pick it up, but it was worth the wait and the drive. I would look for a small slider, but that is just me.

IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't seen anyone mention Powermatics new hybrid cabinet saw the PM1000. I'm shopping for a sub 2K saw same as the original poster and am considering this saw. I think its fairly new but does anyone have any experience with it yet?

9. Look at GI 50-200r

Have one more saw you should look at. I own a General International 50-200r. Great saw with a 2hp motor. Got this for $1200 with free shipping. I know most people would call this one a hybrid, but it doesn`t operate or feel like a hybrid. Very good saw. Well designed. They also make this saw with a 3hp motor, 50-275R. they also make a nice router table attachment, model number 40-070ek. Got this for $400 with free shipping. I installed this on the left extension and have been very happy with results. I did upgrade the fence to be able to use a Very Super Cool Tools rip fence. Got that for around $300 which includes shipping. Made my own rails. Cost of that came out to $90. Total cost in this setup is under $2000. Very happy with everything. I too would love a SS, but still cannot justify cost. I think and do not do stupid practices when using my saw. always use it the way it was designed. Good luck with search

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    And $600 later for all costs, including new bearings, paint, and a brand new Biesemeyer fence, have this in my shop:
    You do great machine restoration work, Jeff. Buying off of you or some other OWWM member is an interesting option.

I think you're into that for a LOT more than $600, though. Sure, you may have only laid out $600 cash for the machine and materials, but I bet you've put in a TON of time. This includes your driving time (acquisition), travel costs, stripping, refinishing, repair, research on what to do/where to buy, looking for the saw, etc. How long do you think ALL of the above added up to?

Time has to be factored in, and if you applied a reasonable rate to your time, your $600 "total cost" number shoots up pretty quickly. Especially for something that's almost a "commodity" in our world (table saw). It's also assuming that someone even has the time to spend.

I think the story is different for your aircraft carrier jointer, though. To buy one that is ready to go right away is a heck of a lot more expensive than the table saw examples, just as you said. Someone likely couldn't afford one otherwise unless they went through the work that you did. I still don't think the poster would bother doing it, he'd find another way, as it's not his cup of tea. I'd have to skip it too, as it would never get done anytime soon these days. Again, buying from OWWM is an interesting option in this case, and one I've never considered. Then again, I couldn't get this monster down my basement stairs, either!

You clearly enjoy this work, and you are definitely good at it, and have the time and ability to do it. My eyes opened wide when you wrote you've done 38 machines in four years! 38! That's wild! It's nearly one machine a month!

Keep up the good work, including posting the "before and after" pictures. I love looking seeing the transformations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger Kanis View Post
    You do great machine restoration work, Jeff. Buying off of you or some other OWWM member is an interesting option.

I think you're into that for a LOT more than $600, though. Sure, you may have only laid out $600 cash for the machine and materials, but I bet you've put in a TON of time. This includes your driving time (acquisition), travel costs, stripping, refinishing, repair, research on what to do/where to buy, looking for the saw, etc. How long do you think ALL of the above added up to?

Time has to be factored in, and if you applied a reasonable rate to your time, your $600 "total cost" number shoots up pretty quickly. Especially for something that's almost a "commodity" in our world (table saw). It's also assuming that someone even has the time to spend.

I think the story is different for your aircraft carrier jointer, though. To buy one that is ready to go right away is a heck of a lot more expensive than the table saw examples, just as you said. Someone likely couldn't afford one otherwise unless they went through the work that you did. I still don't think the poster would bother doing it, he'd find another way, as it's not his cup of tea. I'd have to skip it too, as it would never get done anytime soon these days. Again, buying from OWWM is an interesting option in this case, and one I've never considered. Then again, I couldn't get this monster down my basement stairs, either!

You clearly enjoy this work, and you are definitely good at it, and have the time and ability to do it. My eyes opened wide when you wrote you've done 38 machines in four years! 38! That's wild! It's nearly one machine a month!

Keep up the good work, including posting the "before and after" pictures. I love looking seeing the transformations.
    Thanks, Rodger. I appreciate the kind words. I honestly don't look at the time spent as a cost factor. Some would, but I don't. I am a cabinetmaker, furnituremaker, and wooden planemaker by trade. We all have hobbies. Mine is restoring OWWM's and metalworking machines, too. I get a great sense of pride everytime I save one of these old American made beauties. I've always got one or two restorations going. Right now, I've got the jointer and a 27" bandsaw underway, and I've got 7 other machines waiting in line for their turn. I make upgrades to my equipment (in size capability) as I go, and sell off others that I don't have a use for anymore. Once they're dialed in and have their bearings replaced, etc.....they are ready for solid work for a very, very long time.

Cheers!
    Jeff