Thread: Acrylic bending fixture or jig?

Acrylic bending fixture or jig?

Hey guys! I'm getting ready to make a bunch of acrylic knife display holders using my laser and am having a hard time finding a decent plastic bending fixture.

Techshop seems to have these in their physical workshops

But I can't find who makes them and my google fu is weak. I've searched for plastic bending jigs, plastic bending fixtures and more and just can't seem to track something like this down. I've found one by Shannon (http://www.shannon.nl/eng/bending-accessories) but that thing is $1000 and I don't need anything that large.

Anyone have an idea where I can purchase something like this?

Looks to me like someone took two metal shelves and then cut the end pieces on a laser (metal or plastic, I can't tell from the photo). A couple of screws and two knobs and you're done. I've never seen a commercial bender that looks like that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Turns out it is made by a company called Formech and is part of their heat bending setup

They sell them separately but they are 170. I may laser cut some protractors and try to rig up something like this myself, if I can figure out how

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Schlossberg View Post
    Turns out it is made by a company called Formech and is part of their heat bending setup

They sell them separately but they are 170. I may laser cut some protractors and try to rig up something like this myself, if I can figure out how
    I made ours out of MDF. It doesn't need to be much. I'm sure you can come up with something easy and cheaper than $170.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yeah if I had actual mechanical skill I would do just that

I don't know what shape you need to bend it in, but I will simply use clamps to hold it down on my 2" thick table over the heat strip, and bend it over the table edge to get a "soft" 45 degree bend.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'm going to be making displays similar to this -http://www.palaydisplay.com/Knife-Display-6-Feature-p-23540.html

The first two I bent around a scrap 2x4 and they didn't wind up straight.

It might be easier to cut the sides flat then glue up supports on the ends.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yeah avoiding gluing was was part of the idea behind bending these; otherwise I'd boxjoint shapes together to make a display.

I may just laser a mdf form to bend these over