Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting very thin (1/16") strips

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    Voila! (french) not WALLAH....

Just being my picky picky self this morning...
    HA! Put Hatfield, AR in Google maps and tell me how much French you can find.

I did learn how to say "I don't know" in French. It's "Jenny say Pa"
    -Lud

Short fence for cutting thin strips.

I can't understand the typical American woodworker's aversion or ignorance to anything European, especially the short fence. The original "Unifence" was of this type when adjusted.

Using this type of fence enables cutting thin strips with no danger of the strip being wedged between the fence and the rear portion of the blade. The fence does not have to be continually reset when making more strips.

Using a short fence addition to my Emerson/Craftsman table saw's fence, I have never had a kickback.

Teri,

What is your location? Just curious. You can fill it in on your profile: click Settings in the far upper right and click Edit Profile. If you like.

There was a really long and interesting thread on the 'short fence' not too long ago but I couldn't find it. A fair number of us Americans aren't used to using/seeing such a fence.

However, a short fence by itself does not mitigate kickback. A riving knife is key to that.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Teri-
    I'm the typical American woodworker. Guilty as charged on the ignorance front, but not aversion

I just googled 'table saw short fence' as I have never known about it. It does look like a genius thought on the face of it. I can see how it would reduce the probability of kickback. But it wouldn't be effective when released tension causes the kerf to close, though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Check out Wood magazine top innovative tools. There is a new rip fence that can do what you want. Pricer than the other options but I think you can do more with it. Dan
    Dan I looked but could not find what you were refering to?? Can you fill me in?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Dan I looked but could not find what you were refering to?? Can you fill me in?
    Here is a link to the site, the video is at the bottom.

http://www.deulentools.com/

I use the Rockler jig as shown, with a Driftmaster fence on my bandsaw.

The resultant strips are then planed (by hand) altogether.
    Something this thin must be glued to a backing board,
    if you're using a power planer.

Not me in the video, but this is the method I use.
    I find that it's more accurate if the width of the blade
    (behind the gullets) is more than the height of the piece resawn.

This vid is one of the best I've seen. I use grippers, but they only help down to 1/8". This vid is easy and you don't need a jig.

http://youtu.be/0YpuAZOIj88

what at great jig from rockler. Wow its brilliant
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 01-24-2015 at 2:14 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    This vid is one of the best I've seen. I use grippers, but they only help down to 1/8". This vid is easy and you don't need a jig.

http://youtu.be/0YpuAZOIj88
    That is just how the Rockler one works the only thing the Rockler one has a bearing on it which makes it really nice and smooth.
    In the video you do need a jig, in his case it is a feather board like he has, I have feather boards but none like he has so I would have to buy one of those or use a board clamped onto the saw, a jig.

Blog Entries

I think I'll make the jig

Rockler is out of their jig until the middle of March. I think I'll make one that I saw demonstrated by Microjig on youtube , it looks pretty simple and I have the parts already.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    http://www.rockler.com/magswitch-mag...switch-magjigs

You can use a magswitch as a stop for the left side of the blade.

Set the switch where you want it, move the wood to touch it, and let her rip.

I put blue tape over the blade slot and bring the blade up through it. After bring the blade up through the tape, you can cut really thin strips and they will not fall through the slot.

I use the Infinity Thin Rip Guide. Looks pretty similar to the Rockler, but metal. Also has a bearing so quite smooth.

It has worked well for me for a couple of years.

http://www.infinitytools.com/Thin-Ri...tinfo/TRG-001/
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Another option is an Incra TS LS positioner equipped rip fence. It allows the fence to be stepped at whatever regular interval towards the blade - with the strips peeling off to the LHS of the blade…. There's no requirement to rip narrow stock - start with a wide piece...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-25-2015 at 9:22 AM.

Chris,

I'm in central Texas north of Austin. US citizen born in Houston.

True, a riving knife is the most effective defense against kickback. I was referring to kickback from having the "waste" piece jammed against the fence and the blade.

The "Unifence" is a long available version of a fence that can be easily adjusted to be a short fence. Apparently not too popular with most American woodworkers.

BTW, riving knives have long been required in europe and only recently required in the US. I'm not saying Europeans are smarter but more safety concious than most Americans.

I've been using the short fence since day two (a slight exaggeration) after reading about it somewhere. It just made sense to me.

-- Teri

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Teri,

What is your location? Just curious. You can fill it in on your profile: click Settings in the far upper right and click Edit Profile. If you like.

There was a really long and interesting thread on the 'short fence' not too long ago but I couldn't find it. A fair number of us Americans aren't used to using/seeing such a fence.

However, a short fence by itself does not mitigate kickback. A riving knife is key to that.