Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The only sharpening question we have not asked yet at the creek....

Why not use some old growth redwood?

trapping the rabbits, shearing them, and then turning them lose. She didn't buy it.)
    Ha, ha, ha, ha
    Thanks for that.

I decided to avoid this thread because I am so vocal when it comes to stropping plane blades.
    Then I decided a little peek wouldn't hurt and I might even learn something.
    Looks like I been missing out.
    I eat the heck out of beef etc.

Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer and I were both vegetarians for years and years and years well before we met. It is worth doing at certain periods in SOME peoples lives.
    A steady diet of it, (sorry couldn't help that) for a life time can be less than optimum for some people health wise. I have been on most of the extreme "high performance" diets for athletes and meditators. Nothing, and I mean nothing, surpasses the Pritikin Promise low fat diet (which is mostly vegetarian) for being able to run or ride full tilt up a long climb while smiling and watching your competitor wither and die of oxygen debt and then fall far behind.
    But
    it is very difficult to keep up year in and year out.
    For heart patients, which is what it was designed for, it is THEE life style change that kept scores of people alive.

As far as tofu . . . do not underestimate tofu. You haven't lived until you have tasted some of Q's pressed and then marinaded tofu. It isn't that she is trying to duplicate meat. Forget that. It is just a wonderful and substantial replacement for the meat coarse. We eat beef one week and tofu another.
    Yum

Strop ?

No I won't go there unless we are talking carving tools.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-25-2015 at 5:34 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post

The only sharpening question we have not asked yet at the creek....

Sorry Chris, hate to break it to ya, but I'm a vegan and have brought this up before. Still a good question though and I haven't brought up for quite some time
    :-)

[Actually, I do use shellac which I guess technically makes me a really really really strict vegetarian who actively avoids all animal products other than shellac and not technically a vegan :-) ]

Anyway, I've tried several types of non leather strops. For actual stropping (e.g. something bare that has no compound/abrasive added to it, I have yet to find anything better than palm stropping. I've tried paper, paper bags, cardboard/cereal boxes, as well as the urethane Wood Is Good strop. I like my palm the best for chisels, plane blades, and straight razors (again, thats for something without compound added).

For something with compound (which I really consider to be more of an ultra fine "stone" than a strop), its tough to beat mdf for chisels and plane blades. Its flat, its hard, and it holds compound well. For razors I use balsa with chromium and/or iron oxide. Balsa is great for razors but too soft for small chisels. I also use my Wood Is Good strop with compound, but I really only use the round edge of it for things like molding planes. I don't find the flat part of the WIG strop good for much of anything, its soft and not flat so it can dub over chisels and plane blades when used with compound. It really intended for carving tools not planes and chisels.

There are some faux leathers out there that have good potential, and there is a fella in the razor world who sells what is said to be a fantastic synthetic strop, but I haven't tried either.

For your friend, I'd advise just getting some mdf and some type of 1 micron or less compound using that to put the final edge on tools. Though depending how strict he/she is they may even want to check to make sure mdf is vegan. There are animal products in a lot of things that one wouldn't expect (wine for instance is often filtered over fish bladders) and its pretty much impossible to avoid all of them. I've never looked into mdf in terms the animal ingredients it might contain, but again, depending on his/her strictness, level of concern, and how deep down the vegan rabbet hole s/he wants to go down it may be worth looking into. If MDF turns out to be unacceptable, as others have said, a flat piece of hardwood works quite well too.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

"make sure mdf is vegan" that's a request I've yet to hear from a client but never say never!

even when I was a vegetarian (25 years!) leather was never a problem for me.
    The cows may have had a different view.

I know what you mean though. I sort of missed the sixties. From the time I could walk, '63 or so I walked around with a transistor radio listening to country music and saying "Dammed hippies".
    Then I met some. And started listening to music other than Marty Robins, Buck Owens etc.

. . . anyway somewhere along there when I was a kid I got all into leather working
    discovered the library
    grew up a little
    started being a vegetarian
    discovered leather was cows
    stopped leather working
    read all sorts of cool books about all the great leather work the hippies were doing; back in the day . . . by then it was the seventies and I had missed it but was fascinated to read about it all.
    was thoroughly depressed . . . no '60s no leather work . . . then I . . .
    discovered girls
    forgot about leather working
    Rode bikes with girls for quite a long time and was thoroughly happy.

Then I came back to country and ADDED the music and other facets of it to my life.
    A little of everything I say.
    Life has it's little ways.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-25-2015 at 6:05 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

I might add that Corefam does not breathe. Bad for your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    What if the cow died from old age? Is that a problem to vegans?
    I can't answer for all vegans, but for many, yes it would be. Not necessarily because they would find that specific scenario wrong in, but rather because most vegans are vegans, because they are boycotting an industry/industries whose practices they find abhorrent, and would not want to have or use something supports those industries or promotes them even somewhat indirectly. While that specific strop from that specific cow may not be an issue, most vegans would choose an alternative because A) I/they would want to support/promote that alternative and B) using said strop from the cow that died of old age may encourage others to buy strops which most likely would not come from such a source.

Though again, it would depend on the individual. While by its strictest definition Veganism is extremely rigid, in reality there is variation in what most of us who call ourselves vegans will use and own and under what circumstances . For instance, while I call myself a vegan, I do use shellac and I still own two wool suits. I'm not perfect at following my ethos (no one is) and the reality is that it is darn near impossible do it 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    What's the felt made of? Wool? Is that okay to a vegan? Even worse, is it fur felt? (I once tried to tell my wife that they get the wild rabbit fur used to my my fur felt hats by trapping the rabbits, shearing them, and then turning them lose. She didn't buy it.)
    Felt can often be wool yes, and most vegans wouldn't won't use wool. The 2 wool suits I mention above were the only wool I've purchase in probably 4-5 years. They were an exception I made because I needed them for my job, and couldn't find a half decent non-wool suit...some vegans would not have made that exception. Truthfully it bothers me that my suits are wool and I hope to be able to find an alternative in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    What do vegans do for shoes?
    Believe it or not shoes are actually pretty easy. Lots of casual vegan shoes out there (usually canvass) by Converse and Vans. Dress shoes are a little harder but there is so much synthetic stuff out there even those are pretty readily available. Unfortunately, many of the readily available vegan dress shoes out there are the super cheap shoes that one might find at discount stores, but high end vegan shoes are also available for those who want to spend the money.

http://www.mooshoes.com/men-s-shoes/...d-loafers.html

Anyway, hope that's informative and I hope it doesn't come across as preachy or as though I'm offended. I took these questions as sincere questions and did my best to answer them.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-25-2015 at 7:00 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

wine for instance is often filtered over fish bladders
    Ok
    to heck with wine. Yeuck !
    Nice fresh fish bladers I'm sure.
    Most wine gives me a head ache any way. More and more it is less and less worth it.
    "A marvolous vintage with a finish that reminds me of . . . throbbing head pain."
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Ok
    to heck with wine. Yeuck !
    Nice fresh fish bladers I'm sure.
    Well, its the swim bladder not the urinary bladder (do fish even have those), and technically its not the whole bladder but a substance called Isinglass obtained from the swim bladder. So not that yucky (unless of course your a vegan).

Fortunately, some lovely people created this website that makes it a lot easier to identify which wines/beers/spirits are made without the use of fish or other animal product.

http://www.barnivore.com/

...so I can continue to drink heavily!

Originally Posted by Pat Barry
    What if the cow died from old age? Is that a problem to vegans?

I love questions like that . Going from biology class to government class I used to attempt to apply what I learned in school from one class in another.
    Often the result as a deadly silent class room, something even the teachers could not achieve (perhaps I missed my calling and should have been a school teacher ( I leave that for you dear reader to judge)).

Any way here goes:
    Is it ok to take said flesh off cow if cow died of natural causes ?
    It has been noted in this forum by David W. and others, not by me, that one of the prize strops is human flesh properly prepared.
    It has been again stated here palm stropping is well worth doing.
    Your Aunt Matilda has just died.
    Humans are part of the animal kingdom.
    Is it cool to . . .
    Well back in the day I would have been more straight forward and asked if one then . . .
    I don't want to further add too much fan to the hurricane that I may be slightly bent but . . .
    I think you can see where that was rapidly going.
    A vegan and many others may feel that it is not right to dismember any living creature and all should be respected equally after death.
    Of coarse a cheetah or mountain lion, which I have seen the latter walk through our yard here, might feel differently but again would make no distinction between cow, rabbit or human. As long as it didn't fight back too much it would smack down any one of them with relish.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-25-2015 at 7:02 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    "make sure mdf is vegan" that's a request I've yet to hear from a client but never say never!
    I wouldn't worry about it. I have no reason to believe that regular mdf isn't vegan, I just don't know for sure and am often surprised by what has animal products in it.

Even better, if regular mdf is vegan and you ever have a client who asks for special vegan mdf who doesn't know that, you can just use regular mdf and then charge them extra for it

Blog Entries
    If a mouse dies in the woods and it's nutriets are absorbed by a tree, then that tree is cut and used as lumber and the dust is turned into MDF.....
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Most espousals have impurities and escape clauses. I'm a vegetarian and eat no meat or fish. We get our eggs from our own well-cared for hens, but I do eat dairy and wear a leather belt and shoes. Yet, I refuse to buy a leather strop. Good intentions, poor implementation.
    I know a couple vegetarians and I think a vegan, who chose to believe bacon is a kind of vegetable.
    No lie.
    Paul

I know a couple vegetarians and I think a vegan, who chose to believe bacon is a kind of vegetable.
    I think you may have set a new high water mark for most bizarre sentence in the forum.
    And found a few clients for Derek as a bonus.
    But
    Better is Better.

If a mouse ______ in the woods . . .
    For a second I thought that was going to be like that old question : If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it does it make a sound.

Connoisseurs of the best MDF always base their selection on many factors of the terroir; one of the factors figuring prominently IS local mouse species .
    But
    Better is Better.