Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The only sharpening question we have not asked yet at the creek....

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Originally Posted by Pat Barry
    What if the cow died from old age? Is that a problem to vegans?

I love questions like that . Going from biology class to government class I used to attempt to apply what I learned in school from one class in another.
    Often the result as a deadly silent class room, something even the teachers could not achieve (perhaps I missed my calling and should have been a school teacher ( I leave that for you dear reader to judge)).

Any way here goes:
    Is it ok to take said flesh off cow if cow died of natural causes ?
    It has been noted in this forum by David W. and others, not by me, that one of the prize strops is human flesh properly prepared.
    It has been again stated here palm stropping is well worth doing.
    Your Aunt Matilda has just died.
    Humans are part of the animal kingdom.
    Is it cool to . . .
    Well back in the day I would have been more straight forward and asked if one then . . .
    I don't want to further add too much fan to the hurricane that I may be slightly bent but . . .
    I think you can see where that was rapidly going.
    A vegan and many others may feel that it is not right to dismember any living creature and all should be respected equally after death.
    Of coarse a cheetah or mountain lion, which I have seen the latter walk through our yard here, might feel differently but again would make no distinction between cow, rabbit or human. As long as it didn't fight back too much it would smack down any one of them with relish.
    Using Aunt Matilda sounds like something Ed Gein would have done had he been a woodworker.
    Using a deceased animal carcass doesn't seem disrespectful to me, in fact using the resource that is available instead of just letting it waste away seems much more in tune with appreciating and celebrating life.
    As far as stropping though, using that super sharp chisel in the palm of you hand seems ludicrous, I strop on my blue jeans pant leg.

Blog Entries
    Palm stropping.....lol
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nothing wrong with wool. Sheep are not killed to produce wool. They have to be shorn for their own comfort anyway.

The palm is considered the ultimate strop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

The palm is considered the ultimate strop.
    Indeed, and for some it's the only option.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-26-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: To laugh out loud, because I crack myself up
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Roosevelt Grooming sells a faux leather strop. A guy named Tony Miller may as well. David and David (not the 90's one hit pop duo but Misters Barnett and Weaver) have written abount using a stone called Jasper as a strop. Well they might not call it that but it sounds like it can bend a wire edge back and forth without lengthening it and subtly polish.