Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What centers for turning pen blanks round

What centers for turning pen blanks round

I have special jaws for my nova chuck for holding pen blanks to drill. I'm having trouble with blanks that are poorly cut and not properly square. I try my hardest to start as centered as possible, but it almost always will start squealing.

It was recommended that I turn the blanks round between centers and then mount them on the chuck. This seems like a good idea. I just don't know what centers would be best to do this. I imagine the large and cheap spur center which came with the lathe isn't ideal.

PSI sells some stub centers, they are what I use for turning between centers. Cost about $20.

Blog Entries
    60 degree centers... dead for the headstock and live for the tailstock.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Can you provide the link? Having trouble finding it.

Hi Jared,
    Try not to overthink this. You are on the right track by drilling the blanks by holding them in the chuck. If the blanks are not totally square then make them so on the table saw or set them in the chuck so the blank edges are held on the actual jaws and not between the jaws.
    If squealing then put a little candle wax on the bit each this you go in. Clear the chips frequently. Buy a parabolic 7mm drill bit, they are fantastic.
    Install the tubes, square the blanks on the disk sander, turn them round on the pen mandrel or two 60degree centres, one dead one and one live one.
    Some turners do the complete pen between these centres and use calipers to get the right diameters. Just measure the pen hardware and go for that diameter.
    good luck, have fun with your pens.
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    60 degree centers... dead for the headstock and live for the tailstock.
    He is wanting to round off the blanks, not turn the finished parts between centers.

Link. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/he...e-centers.html

Got that, Marvin.
    But there is no point in doing an extra step to no avail. A pen blank is so easy to turn round after the tubes are installed and the blanks squared.
    If anyone really want to buy a great new drive centre then get the Oneway Safe Driver. It is just that SAFE!!!
    I use this drive now for just about everything from small spindles to big rough bowl blanks!
    Try it.
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    Got that, Marvin.
    But there is no point in doing an extra step to no avail. A pen blank is so easy to turn round after the tubes are installed and the blanks squared.
    If anyone really want to buy a great new drive centre then get the Oneway Safe Driver. It is just that SAFE!!!
    I use this drive now for just about everything from small spindles to big rough bowl blanks!
    Try it.
    Peter F.
    But he is having problems getting his holes straight because of crooked blanks, he wants to turn between centers and then drill.

One the page Marvin linked to, the 5/8" super center, which is a Stebb center clone, works well for small blanks and is inexpensive. I have it and its big brother and the are my go-to centers for spindle work. In the four piece set I would suggest the cup center, but the end of the blank needs to be cut square to the length of the blank.

Once rounded, the blank could be held in small chuck jaws or a collet chuck (my preference).
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I just posted some related stuff to this on the penturners forum. Here's what I do:

1. Before the blank is cut in half for the tubes make sure that it's square. I use the band saw with a push stick for that.
    2. Cut the halfs to the appropriate length per the pen instructions.
    3. I use a PSI pen chuck on the headstock to hold the blank to drill the holes
    4. I use a drill chuck in the tailstock with a short bit and my holes come out straight.
    5. Glue the tubes in. Let dry according to what type of glue you use.
    6. Turn using a pen mandrel with appropriate size bushings for your pen. do not over tighten the mandrel or it will bend.

Yes, there are other ways to do this, but this is the way I have learned to do it--mostly from reading these forums. I don't regret spending a few extra bucks for some accessories such as the pen chuck, mandrel, etc.. I make a lot of pens as gifts and people really like receiving them, too. Friends and family really like it that you took the time to personally make them something. Just sayin....
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I make a few pens and often from imperfect blanks I have cut from small bits of wood I have milled, usually from someone's departed tree or spalted woods. As Peter suggests, I turn round between the Oneway Safe Driver and Oneway live center. Beauty of this setup is both end marks are the same, more important on other spindle work. I then mount in #1 jaws on Oneway or Talon chuck to drill concentrically. I bought the Penn State mandrel saver a couple of years ago and love it.

Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately I can't just square the blanks. I'm working on an improvised patio shop and I don't have access to a table saw or a bandsaw. That's why I'm trying to turn them round before mounting them in the chuck.

Would this be the oneway safe driver you're all recommending? I assume it's small enough to hold a pen blank or else it wouldn't even be mentioned?

http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2593-Ta..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
    Would this be the oneway safe driver you're all recommending? I assume it's small enough to hold a pen blank or else it wouldn't even be mentioned?

http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2593-Ta..._cd_al_qh_dp_t
    Yes. One the same page was a link to the PSI stebb center clone that I mentioned.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
    unfortunately I can't just square the blanks. I'm working on an improvised patio shop and I don't have access to a table saw or a bandsaw.
    Sears sells mini desktop bandsaws... surely something like this would be useful when you have to remain portable.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I use a pen mandrel and bushings. For the tailstock I use the PSI mandrel saver. Presses on the blanks and not the mandrel. Works really good. I use cut offs and off sized pieces too. Less than 50 bucks for both items shipped to your door.