Thread: Bridgewood BW-17WBS band saw

Bridgewood BW-17WBS band saw

Can anyone tell me a fair price for a used Bridgewood BW-17WBS bandsaw? I understand it is a pretty good saw. Also how easy is it to change blades and adjust blade guides?

Couldn't tell you on price but If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was manufactured by ACM of Italy. Good machine. Still sold today by another dealer under their "Heavy Duty" moniker. Blade change is no biggie and if has the Euro-style blade guides (as most Euro saws do), you adjust the guides with your fingers. If it was those guides, though, and you plan to run blades narrower than 1/2", I would look at something like the Carter Stabilizer.

Hope this helps.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Thanks for the response Erik. Interesting note on use of narrow 1/8" or 1/4" blades needing the carter stabilizer. Small radius cuts is what I do mostly and If I have to spend $250 on guides it may be too expensive. I wanted the larger saw for resawing for book match panels.
    Some of the threads I read mention similarity to the Grizzly G0513 for around $1100 new. This used saw has a few years of use but suppose to be in excellent condition, if so would $700 be fair or too much?? Comments appreciated

I'd check with the seller on whether it was an ACM one or not. Wilkie sold some Taiwanese bandsaws and the 17WBS might actually be the same model as the G0531.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I'd check with the seller on whether it was an ACM one or not. Wilkie sold some Taiwanese bandsaws and the 17WBS might actually be the same model as the G0531.
    Whoa: You learn something new every day.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

I bought a used Bridgewood Model BS 440 (wheels are about 17.25") maybe 4 years ago for $900. Mine says "Made in Italy". Be advised that the motor starter "hums" when off. I e-mailed to Wilkes (they still sell parts) and the technician said that humming often occurs. I just unplug when done for the day.

I disassembled & cleaned the guides - they're OK but I should replace one of the four bearings. It features a dust collection port & foot brake. The table doesn't look as big as a Minimax (Bridgewood measures 16.5 deep x 23" wide).

It's fairly heavy. I loaded it from the sellers basement onto my pickup truck & lowered it into my basement shop thru a bulkhead using a Warn electric winch.

In summary, the machine is smooth, adjustable, and heads & shoulders above a Delta 14".

Yes Jim it does look like that. I see from the link it went for around $975 in 2008. So what do you thing would be a fair offer in todays dollars?

The one in the amercian wood worker review weighs 286 pounds - doesn't sound close to what I'd expect 17" Italian made saw to weigh. Shipping weight on a new Grizzly 5013 is 342 lbs. So the one you are looking at could very well be Taiwanese. Used, you likely are going to get some additional blades, and maybe a mobility kit. I'd guess $600 or so would be at the high end for this saw.

I'd offer somewhere between $450 – $500.

I'd sve my 450-500 and look for the ACM made Bridgewood, Laguna, Felder at 1000-1200. Dave

I bought a used Bridgewood 540 last year for 800. Found it on CL in a school where the used its only for resaw.... read not very often.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. That gives me a good idea where I want to be in my offer. I'll start at $450, I can always go up.