Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench Apron

Bench Apron

I've been using a bench jack with my new bench, while less in the way than a sliding deadman it's still more hassle than I like. Kinda on the back burner has been the thought of adding an English style apron but always other things were higher on the list and it would be a pain to glue up the boards to make an apron that was deep enough to add utility. Long story shorter, I found an 8' almost 400mm wide hunk of 8/4 Beech the other day. That takes care of the glue up hassle, I have no excuse not to try it. Anyway I clamped the apron board to the bench this afternoon to see if there were any reasons to not add an apron or problems I've overlooked. BTW, that is one heavy mother to wrestle around by yourself. If I decide to go for it, I'll cut 300 or so mm off the end which should make it a little easier to handle.

The only negatives that are apparent are; it will restrict the use of dogs and limit seeing what is under the bench from the front. The dogs are not a problem because I seldom use 'em and when I do they are usually the plastic lipped ones.

Here's a photo of the apron board clamped to the bench. If I'm overlooking something, please speak up.

Blog Entries
    For me an apron works fine. Most of the time a 6" apron would be more than enough for my current needs. I could see if I was building a lot of large doors or panels my needs would be different.

How often do you work a piece that would need the full width of your apron as shown?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

An apron would not work for me. I clamp down on the front of the bench way too often not to have that convenient edge.
    jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For me an apron works fine. Most of the time a 6" apron would be more than enough for my current needs. I could see if I was building a lot of large doors or panels my needs would be different.

How often do you work a piece that would need the full width of your apron as shown?

jtk
    Jim,

A 300mm apron would probably take care of 90% of my work but it's kinda like buying a truck. A 1/2 ton gas is good for 90% of what I need a truck for but it sure is nice to have a 3/4 ton Diesel for that other 10% when needed.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    An apron would not work for me. I clamp down on the front of the bench way too often not to have that convenient edge.
    jim
    Jim,

I can't remember the last time I clamped something to the top of my bench. That said, I could have used a clamp this morning while I was chopping mortises but a holdfast works just as well and is a lot faster. Most of the time I leave work loose, using stops and battens to keep it in place so the ability to clamp to the top is pretty much a non-issue. As always: With anything wood YMMV.

ken

Don't get me wrong, I like the aprons on the Nicholson benches, but your comment on a deadman being on the way makes me wonder how would an apron be less on the way than a sliding deadman? Those at least can be removed easily if needed.

Augusto,

I probably did not choose my words precisely, when I'm using either the deadman or the bench jack they are seldom where I need them and if you are a slow learner like I am and forget to move them before hand it can be a multi-step dance routine while wrestling a heavy chunk of wood to get everything in place. When they are not in use, it's like there is a deadman/bench jack fairy that makes sure they are precisely where they will need to be moved. I know small ball irritations but why not fix 'em if I can.

That is one of the reasons why the apron hasn't been installed yet and for this post. While I can't use the aprons before installing I can live with 'em and see if there is an apparent problem where I would just be trading a set of minor irritations for another or worse a major problem. The bench works better than any bench I've owned as it is, I would hate to degrade its usefulness.

Having said all that, with my normal work routine, I expect an apron with a pattern of dog holes for holdfasts and supports would be the cat's pajamas. Of course as with all things wood: YMMV.

ken

Blog Entries
    I have an apron on my bench. It has dog holes in it for LV hold downs to clamp long pieces that are in the vise.

I recently added rectangular dog holes at strategic positions in the apron allowing me to use bar clamps to hold down pieces that need clamping to the top.

It works! I really like the apron now.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-24-2015 at 8:05 AM.

Thanks Lowell,

After living with it for awhile and thinking through the logistics of the change I'm pretty sure when I come home from work today I will do the deed. As posted earlier, I don't clamp much to the top but I do work long pieces on edge. I have a sliding deadman on the old bench and a bench jack for this bench, both work but I expect the apron will cut down on some of the monkey motion when working a long edge.

ken

Well there is no turning back, figured I had just enough time to glue it before strapping a Sim to my butt. That way it will have more cure time before tomorrow....The apron is glued. Once cured I'll add a couple of Spax screws to each leg, drill the dog holes, and joint the top. I may have a working bench back by tomorrow afternoon. Oh, almost forgot, and saw off the end.

A quick check of square to the top shows it very close.

Go for it! Nothing wrong with the apron. I can still clamp things to the top if I need to. The clamp just registers on the bottom of the apron.

I think that apron in Nicholson is there for structural reasons, you have a very stout bench. Apron will just get in a way in my opinion, but it is worth a try because you want it.
    I am just finishing a quick build of really high (44") bench and thought about using apron to prevent racking, but decided to hold off for a while.

Reinis,

While the apron on a English bench does add structural strength if the aprons were smaller it would not have that great of an effect on the stiffness of the bench. , The wide aprons are very efficient work holding devises, I'm not sure which was the more important in the early development of the wide aprons on the English bench, the ability to use less material for the same strength or the flexibility and efficiency of work holding. Could be a chicken/egg thing.....Bottom line, while I love my English QR vise, for many operations just using stops, battens, and holdfasts are quicker and in some ways better. If you haven't watched Mike Siemsen's video on "Workholding on a viseless bench", you should....here is a link http://youtu.be/yvhn-PAfEW4

BTW, you are correct my bench is stout. Before adding the apron it weights in close to 500 lbs with all the joints either drawbored or pinned. The apron adds close to another 80 lbs. It has never moved or racked no matter what I do to or on it, while you can't get better than perfection, the apron should make it even stiffer.

ken

Graham,

I have often wondered about the "can't clamp to the top", not that I ever clamp to the top but it sure seems if I wanted to there is nothing about the apron that would stop me....I must be missing something. Guess I will find out once the glue up clamps come off :-).

ken

Blog Entries
    I think the issue with a full side apron is access to the bottom of the bench, sometimes helpful when clamping. I am thinking about a 4-5" "apron" at the top edge and a 8/4"x 6-8" wide stretcher, maybe 6"-1' below the apron. The hole between the two should provide access to the bottom of the bench but leave plenty of side clamping area too. My apron and stretcher will be flush with the front legs to maximize the side clamping area. I will have a Veritas Quick-Release Sliding Tail Vise on the front right corner that will allow me to clamp to the top or side of the bench. The Benchcrafted Leg vise on the left side will be able to hold the opposite ends of longer boards on the side of the bench.

The same function might be achieved after installing the full side apron simply by cutting a piece out of the full apron, should the full apron prove limiting.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-25-2015 at 12:56 AM.