Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bench Apron

Blog Entries
    Just how big is 400 mm by the way?
    400 mm is about 15-3/4".

I have worked with metric.

I have worked with inches.

I prefer inches because all my measuring devices are in inches.

When the going gets tough I prefer to not use either and bring in a story stick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim,

I was having too much fun with fractional/metric conversions and realized after hitting the post button I hadn't answered all of Pat's questions.

I'm with you on the story sticks. I seldom work off plans so most of my marking is either story sticks or off the pieces as the build progresses. The tapes and rules are just to get in the ballpark.

ken

Blog Entries
    First off, this is awesome. I love the apron, and have always thought it would be cool to fit one to a Ruobo style bench. That said, for the same reasons you mentioned, I also always questioned whether it would be good or bad. I love the look, and I love the ease of the apron, and I think you are going to love using it.

Now, about that huge hunk of beech... where can I get one? :-)

I'm late to the party, but I'd like to raise one consideration that has thus far gone unmentioned.

You have effectively just moved your line of dog holes 1.5"+ (38mm+) deeper into your bench. This may or may not prove to be a dis-improvement.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks Malcolm,

Finding wide boards is tough. there are some <300mm and lots of boards <250mm but few >400mm. That is one of the main reasons adding the apron had been in the back of my mind for awhile. a glue up would be possible but I wanted a solid board.

Good luck finding one, they do come along but at least in this part of the U.S. not often and when they do they are not the wood you are looking for. BTW, when I find one I buy it even if I haven't a use at that time.

I've always build a French (Roubo) style bench, mostly because, if you don't CS it up too much (that's another story and I usually step on a few toes when I go down that road), it is a quick and easy build and I've built enough of 'em to do it with out thinking. The one area of weakness with the French bench has been holding work on edge, bench jacks, sliding deadmen, and clamps address that weakness but I've thought the English work bench was a better system for edge work. I just didn't want to learn a new way to construct a work bench and I like the weight and simplicity of the French bench.

Sorry guy, I always have to build a clock, SWMBO just rolls her eyes and tries to change the subject. Anyway, I've wanted to do this for awhile but hadn't found the board to pull it off. As to the downsides, it all depends on how you work but that is the story with any bench. If you use dogs because they can't be reached from underneath the front could be a problem. I seldom use dogs. The clamp thing to the top has been beat to death, I don't use clamps to hold things to the top. The one real downside for me is not being able to easily see what is under the bench from the front side. For now I will live with that because as best I can tell from what little use I've had everything else is positive and maybe I can train myself to get things from the back side of the bench :-).

Check back in 6 months, I'll bet the answer will be the same.

ken

I forgot to add: As with all things wood, YMMV.

John,

You are correct, the front dog holes are deeper. For my use that's not a big deal. The dog holes are used for stops and holdfasts and occasionally for dogs if a single point stop will work. Because you mentioned it I just looked at my goto cross bench stop and depending on which way it's turned it is about 25mm short of the edge one way and a little more the other. If it becomes a problem then a new cross bench stop is an easy build.

Thanks for pointing it out, it's something I hadn't thought about and something anyone else thinking about adding an apron needs to be aware of. As always what works or doesn't mostly depends on your method of working.

ken

Hey Ken, I was just kidding around with my comments regarding mixed dimensions. The units make no big difference to me. I do lots of conversions between microns and microinches at work.

The front apron looks great! Earlier today I wasn't able to view the pictures you posted because our IT department at work blocks sites such as photobucket or whatever you use. Nice work

Thanks Pat,

I had fun with your post, figured it was tongue in cheek. I had a great time with the answer.

The more I use the apron the better I like it.

I'm off to work in a couple, not my favorite shift but better than the mid-day one.

ken

BTW, your avatar looks just like my Sam the Wonder Dog...What a great friend. That's Sweet Maggie Dog in mine.
    Last edited by ken hatch; 01-26-2015 at 8:40 PM.

Somthing to consider

I have one more comment to add that hasn't been mentioned. Probably because its obvious. The back jaw of the vice should be flush with the face of the apron.

On my bench (with 6" aprons) I use a hanging deadman. You see I also have adjust-a-bench legs so any supports either had to be adjustable or move with the bench. I opted for the later.

A few last thoughts. Try to get the front edge straight before gluing the apron on. Flatten and smooth the apron before putting on. Trying to plane the apron after its on is not so easy sideways (unless you lay your bench down). Have lots of clamps for gluing and use a cawl to avoid a wavy apron. A couple of dowels or biskets will help with the alignment. Predrill your dog holes if you can.

Have fun. Eric

An update after a week of use.

My only regret is that I didn't add the apron from the get go. It is an improvement over either a bench jack or a deadman. Both bench jacks and deadmen work but there is always an element of fiddle when in use or even when not in use. With the apron it is just there ready to go when needed and no hassle when not needed. So far the best of all worlds.

I'm helping (mostly building for him :-)) a co-worker build a construction grade DF French style work bench. The slab is glued up, just needs flattening and truing, and the base is ready to pin together. Once his bench is together, I expect we will add an apron to the finished bench.

ken