Thread: Fingernail jig question.

Fingernail jig question.

Hi, I just got the Nova sharpening center but the instructions suck. Can anyone point me toward some good directions or explain how the fingernail jig is set for angles and sweeps? It doesn't tell you how far to extend the chisel out, how far to pull out the support bar, or what the numbers are on the jig. I assume they are angles, but it doesn't say. If anyone can help I'd be much 'bliged.
    USMC '97-'01

Google Thompson lathe tools. Go to the sharpening page. Download the sharpening guide. This should get you started in the right direction.

I'll check it out, thanks Scot.
    USMC '97-'01

I looked at the instructions for the Nova jig. The jig is very similar in operation to the Oneway Wolverine and Varigrind, which is the most common sharpening jig used by US turners. I read set the length 57 mm in the Nova instructions for a BG. Oneway suggests 2" extension and Doug Thompson 1 3/4". It doesn't really matter as long as you use it consistently for a repeatable grind. You may want to get on YouTube and do a search on Wolverine Jig to locate severeal sharpening videos including some by Oneway.
    God is great and life is good!

Another plus for Doug Thompson's chart. It is a downloadable PDF on his website. You might also look for Reed Gray's (RoboHippy) or Lyle Jamieson's sharpening videos on You Tube. They are both really good.

Thanks for the info. I tried sharpening my P and N bowl gouge today and succeeded in screwing it up and eating an inch of it trying. I think I'm sending this thing back. One problem is I keep getting humps on the wings when I try to blend the nose with the wings. I can get long smooth wings, but no matter what I try I get humps near the nose. Very frusterated here!
    USMC '97-'01

How true is your wheel? I had trouble sharpening until I got the wheel dressed properly using the OneWay diamond dressing system. Tool bounced earlier and rally ate up th steel, and now it only takes a "kiss" to touch up the edge.

This video by John Lucas might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G16ylEZHQ

I use the Oneway Varigrind rather than the Nova system, but I believe that one thing all of the various systems have in common is that they only control the angle that the tool is presented to the wheel, so that you get a consistent bevel angle all the way around. They do not control the shape of the end of the tool. The shape is entirely in the hands of the operator. If you have a hump somewhere then you need to grind a little longer at that point. The extreme nose of the tool grinds away very quickly so you need to be very careful and use an extremely light touch when you are grinding there. It is usually better to grind each wing individually and then use a very light, quick swing around the nose to blend them together.

Good Luck!
    Bob

Okay, I got it! Thanks for the tips fellas. I watched the Jamieson video and it helped a lot to see it in action. I might keep this after all. You guys rock!
    USMC '97-'01

Okay, I sent this junk back. The thing was not well made and was not very accurate or repeatable. Hard to believe that the same company that makes the supernova 2 chucks made this thing.
    USMC '97-'01

Well the Nova's gone and the Penn State 4 piece system arrived yesterday and is now attached under my grinder. I'm very impressed initially with it. The fit and finish are solid. The welds all look good on it, the paint is nice too. The jig accessories all worked well when I put them through the paces last night. I used the skew jig to round back the short end of my skew and it worked well. The fingernail jig is great so far too. I like that it, like the Nova one, can take a large gouge. Larger than some of the specs on others say. Very similar to the Nova style but made with better material and it just feels more solid. It locks down tight too. As does the platform. I also am pumped to be able to switch sides to different grit wheels too. Very nice. For the price, I'm happy. I don't see any real moving parts that'll where out with use either, so it should serve me for......ever? We'll see.
    USMC '97-'01