Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Found a Stanely Bedrock 602C!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    As a reference, I was at the local MWTCA meet about a year ago. There was a table with a bunch of plain Jane #2's and a guy walked up with a wad of cash. He picked the two best and paid a total of $400 for both. Now, these weren't 602C's, either. He explained that he decided long ago that he could collect #1 or #2's but at $1000 for one or $200 for the other, he thought the choice was obvious. I asked him how many he had. He said "200." Must be nice to be a collector.
    Sounds like a misguided collector to me. Buying multiples of the same thing, especially the more common ones, seldom turns out to be a good investment. He would have better off to collect 602s, but even they have dropped in price the last few years.
    Reminds me of a local guy that decided (several years ago) that pennies would soon go out of circulation and become more valuable. He was paying 2 cents each, and those of us who knew about it went to the banks repeatedly and bought all we could to sell to the guy. Supposedly, he buried 55 gallon drums full of them in his back yard. Sure would like to see him today to ask how that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    Sounds like a misguided collector to me. Buying multiples of the same thing, especially the more common ones, seldom turns out to be a good investment. He would have better off to collect 602s, but even they have dropped in price the last few years.
    Couple ways to look at that Mel. The pure collecter that is doing so as an investment, and knows what he's doing, would probably be alright. Especially if he collected whatever FWW was going to promote as the new fad plane of the month, as long as he actually sold.

Personally I use my collection so I like diversification and the dividends everytime I use it. By the time my widow sells them, I seriously doubt any one will collect. We're a dying breed. Still a better investment than those pennies!

Nice find!

If it were me, I'd just hold onto it and use it. But I'm the same guy that dropped $200 on a #2 to use it. That's my mentality; why buy it or keep it if you're not going to use it?

And regarding Patrick Leach; I did not know selling tools was how he puts food on the table. Learn something new every day.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    And regarding Patrick Leach; I did not know selling tools was how he puts food on the table. Learn something new every day.
    You are gonna love this, then:

http://www.supertool.com/

Sign up for the monthly tool list he sends out. Reserve an hour just to skim it. Items from 20 bucks to $5,000 [at times]. Not just Stanley planes. Not just planes.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Sign up for the monthly tool list he sends out. Reserve an hour just to skim it.
    +1 on this.

I have learned a lot just from his monthly tool list and the pictures.

I recommend it highly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would put it on the Bay at twice the Buy now price you would take. Get everyone's attention. Then slowly drop the price to the point you want for it. It is kinda like fishing. Bait it out there, if no one bites change the presentation. If no one buys it at your lowest price, keep till later. Then only three things can happen. At a latter date prices may go up on rare tools, you become a collector or you have a rare user plane.
    Also be prepared for people complaining about your price you set. The only reason they contact you is because the you have something they want and can't afford it and want to beat you down on price. Those people are not worth your time. Been down that road. I am a collector for now. Till the prices goes back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Atkins View Post
    I would put it on the Bay at twice the Buy now price you would take. Get everyone's attention. Then slowly drop the price to the point you want for it. It is kinda like fishing. Bait it out there, if no one bites change the presentation. If no one buys it at your lowest price, keep till later. Then only three things can happen. At a latter date prices may go up on rare tools, you become a collector or you have a rare user plane.
    Also be prepared for people complaining about your price you set. The only reason they contact you is because the you have something they want and can't afford it and want to beat you down on price. Those people are not worth your time. Been down that road. I am a collector for now. Till the prices goes back up.
    Personally, I don't think that's a good approach. I have bought and sold on Ebay for many years and believe the high priced fishing expeditions are counterproductive. Potential buyers get tired of seeing the same item relisted until it's beat to death and ignore it even if the price drops a little. There is that initial surge of enthusiasm when you come across something interesting that gets lost in a long drawn out process. I speak from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    Personally, I don't think that's a good approach. I have bought and sold on Ebay for many years and believe the high priced fishing expeditions are counterproductive. Potential buyers get tired of seeing the same item relisted until it's beat to death and ignore it even if the price drops a little. There is that initial surge of enthusiasm when you come across something interesting that gets lost in a long drawn out process. I speak from experience.
    I strongly concur. I ignore those sellers, I don't want to wait months for the price to get to the correct level. There was a nice little Sims smoother listed a while back with a ridiculous BIN or offer. I offered a high, fair price as I wanted it. The seller declined, so I moved on. It stayed listed for many more months, the last BIN price I saw was 30 less than I offered. Just put a low starting price auction out there and the collectors will find it.

Well, I followed Mel's advice (thank you!), posted the plane two weeks ago (sold $845) and look what I've got in return! I'm sure some of you are banging your head against the wall, but believe me the TS-55 and my cheap bailey block plane are everything that elusive old antique was. I'm grateful for everyone's couple of cents and look forward to posting more questions-- maybe even someday an answer.
    Thanks again
    Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    posted the plane two weeks ago (sold $845) and look what I've got in return!
    Wow, congrats.

My dreams are of such finds. Then about all the tools that could be bought with the money.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've always found it fascinating how many people in this world are so eager to tell others what to do with their money. It's as if they earned it themselves...but not really. While I would not advertise that someone had unknowingly given me a #2, the operative term here is the word "given." Not invested, not consigned, not partnered with to share in the proceeds of a sale. The plane is yours to do with as you see fit. Personally, I would keep it in my collection. You're unlikely to come across one in the wild like that again. Also, it doesn't matter what Ebay listings are out there. You need to search COMPLETED listings. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen overpriced tools at estate sales based on some dimwit's quick search of Ebay listings.