Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Laser not cutting

Chinese Laser not cutting

Any ideas appreciated guys ?
    Trying to cut 3mm MDF but all it is doing is leaving a thick line and not cutting right through ? i am using RDWORKS8.0 software but having no joy

thanks

A thick line first leads me to thinking that you are out of focus. Try raising or lowering your bed.
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Thank you Roy, i have tried raising and lowering but no joy. Any ideas on what settings i could use ?

My first thought was the same Roy's - something seems wrong with the optics. Your experiment suggests it is not a focus problem. But if you are getting a wide line I have my doubts that a different power/speed setting is going to cure this.

I would suggest that you experiment until you can scribe a line that is only .006" wide or less (I don't know which lens you have installed.) Never mind about cutting through at the moment. (If you can't scribe a thin line you have to find out why.)

The other possibility I can think of is that the adhesive in the mdf just isn't laserable and you are just charring the material. In such a case you could get a wide char line. If you start at 90% power and drop the speed, you will find the best setting yourself pretty quickly. But it is possible that the material just isn't suitable for laser cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Preston View Post
    Any ideas appreciated guys ?
    Trying to cut 3mm MDF but all it is doing is leaving a thick line and not cutting right through ? i am using RDWORKS8.0 software but having no joy
    thanks
    Maybe you posted but I missed, your machine ? and its a CO2 laser with how much power available? Is it Vector cutting for sure or is it trying to Engrave the line? Are you able to Cut other materials?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thank you Richard and Bill, it will not cut anything I have tried Mdf and Ash ? It is the Pro Co2 from eBay. Not sure Bill about vector or engrave the line , can you select which one you want on the software ? I am able to engrave onto any material but just can't cut ?

Thank you

Not familiar at all with the software you're using but - yes. Figure out how to tell the software to cut (color a line or something) and set the cut power/speed to whatever will get through the material. Somebody else will need to tell you how to do that but I think that's the ticket.

Have you cut material before this problem?

Thank you Richard and Bill, it will not cut anything I have tried Mdf and Ash ? It is the Pro Co2 from eBay. Not sure Bill about vector or engrave the line , can you select which one you want on the software ? I am able to engrave onto any material but just can't cut ?

Thank you
    Once again, how much power or wattage is the machine rated for? There a at least a couple hundred or more eBay sold Chinese lasers. Do some searching on here to read up about engraving vs cutting or Vector cutting. Lots to learn.

how many watts tube can we get a screen shot of your software settings

Thank you
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-24-2015 at 1:16 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

This is the link to the machine here :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-CO2-EN...item4d2007c063
    I have not cut anything so far as it just wont go right through the wood ?

50 watt should have no problem cutting upto 1/4 mdf , ply , ash ect ect we need to find the focus point and the right cut setting need screen shot or someone familiar with your software
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    50 watt should have no problem cutting upto 1/4 mdf , ply , ash ect ect we need to find the focus point and the right cut setting need screen shot or someone familiar with your software
    Bert he does not know the difference between cutting (vector) or engraving (raster) . He needs to understand which is which before he can decide on what the correct focus should be. I agree he should have no problems vector cutting any of the above with his 50 watt machine. Assuming the mirrors and lens are correctly aligned.

First is there a lens in it and what focal length is it? He says that it is giving him a big spot and not cutting so I would check the lens.

Bill maybe I don't understand how a laser focus's I was under the impression that the focal distance is the same for both raster and vector. Maybe I been doing this all wrong but I use the same gauge and focus at the same distance no matter what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Bert he does not know the difference between cutting (vector) or engraving (raster) . He needs to understand which is which before he can decide on what the correct focus should be. I agree he should have no problems vector cutting any of the above with his 50 watt machine. Assuming the mirrors and lens are correctly aligned.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander