Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of finally taking the plunge and selling the power tools....(Long)

Thinking of finally taking the plunge and selling the power tools....(Long)

Ok, let me preface by saying that when I first got into woodworking, I started buying up every power tool there was (Mostly craigslist buys) and every nifty jig from taper jigs to dovetail guides to router bits, etc. In growing up in a house where my dad had essentially one main power tool in his shop (Not a woodworker, but a DIY handman contruction type shop.), a radial arm saw and then occasionally an old makita 10" miter saw, I had a love for power tools. For christmas and birthdays as I got older, my parents would buy me power tools. Miter saws, a cheap table saw, power drills, etc etc. I was raised in a world where things weren't done by hand. I had the impression that power tools were way more accurate and faster than any hand tool could ever be. I'm sure, most beginner woodworkers assume that's the case before they find the light of hand tools. I started getting into woodworking naturally from having these tools and wanting to build a few things around the house. My first projects were crude made with mostly plywood or mdf and then basically nailed together. It's what opened the door. It became exciting. I wanted to learn more. I started reading magazines and watching videos and reading forums and started buying up all the power tools I could find. It started with a $75 Delta contractor saw, then a $150 grizzly bandsaw, then a $250 Ryobi lunch box planer (bought new on sale), then a little 6" really old craftsman jointer which I sold and then upgraded to an 8" delta DJ-20 jointer which I installed a shelix cutterhead for, and the list goes on and on and on. I can't tell you how much money and time and effort I wasted restoring older power tools that made my 400 sq ft garage seem like a storage closet in size by the time I crammed it all in there. I ran 240v electric out there even.
    Then I went to a woodworking show loaded with power tools to stumble across little humble Paul Sellers over in the corner. I watched him as he assembled his bench and created a shooting board for his presentation all with hand tools. I watched in amazement. No miter saws?? No routers? No table saws?? How is this possible?? I sat in on the 30 min presentation and my life with woodworking was forever changed. I bought his book and video series and I went straight home.
    So 3 years later, here I am, pretty much a neander woodworker. My jointer with it's fancy shelix cutter head sits behind my bench and serves two purposes: storage of junk, and occasionally I use one of the flat beds to affix sandpaper too and restore old hand planes. My table saw has been out of the shop for almost a year now and moved to my work warehouse where it also serves as a nice flat surface to store crap on. And the miter saw (which occasionally gets used here at the work warehouse to quickly cut down whatever) is also not in my home shop. Even the bandsaw sees little use (mainly because it's not a great one and adjusting it for a cut is not great. It could use an upgrade, but because it's finicky to set up, I hardly use it as well. Now my rhand saws see more and more work. And my hand planes stay sharp and dimension boards to a clean and smooth finish essentially ready for finish after glue up. My jointer and lunch box planer and dust collector all take up valuable room!
    So after my looooooong story which I'm sure is similar to most neander woodworkers in todays world, I'm thinking of selling all these items and just investing the money from the sale of them into one good new bandsaw (which I think would get more use if it was a better model). Part of me is scared to take the plunge because I keep thinking, "What if??? What if I need them?? What if??" But the more practical side of me is thinking "They're taking up valuable room!!" The truth is, the more I work with hand tools and saw by hand and hand plane, the faster and more efficient I become with them and the less I feel like I need the power tools to compensate for the work I'm not great at. I'm in no means GREAT at any woodworking I do, I'm still a beginning by a long shot, but I find I continually get better and better and faster and faster to where it's becoming more and more second nature. Not to mention the pure safety of it plus the great reduction in noise and dust is wonderful!
    So after my long post which should have a been blog somewhere because of length, I'm thinking I'm going to take the plunge and sell them off and force myself to never have to double think about "What if I need them??" It's a tough decision!

Blog Entries
    Greg,

Welcome to the Cave by the Creek. If you have mentioned where you are located in the past, I have forgotten.

To me there isn't a problem with the length of your post. You were neither redundant nor boring. The story as you said is common to many. Throughout life it has seldom been my lot to be one of the many. My shop has never had many power tools. Other than a few electric hand tools my power tools are a band saw, drill press and a lathe.

A bandsaw is a most useful tool. Mine is an old yellow plastic 10" el cheapo. It was problematic until I watched a video about centering the tooth line on the crown of the wheels instead of trying to center the blade on the wheel. Also George Wilson made a comment on using the bandsaw that sounds strange, but it clicked with me. Something about making a cut with a bandsaw as if you were making love to the bandsaw. He also made a comment about sharpening/stoning the teeth to improve results. As with you, one of my future purchases will likely be a quality bandsaw. My current one has its limit at resawing a 6" piece.

I used to work with a "power tool guy." He was often going on about how his planer could remove a 1/16" in a single pass. He also wanted me to sharpen his blades for him since his planer wouldn't work with the dull blades he had at the time. I have since discovered a person could pick up some extra cash if they wanted to sharpen planer blades for power tool users.

My only suggestion would be to try and work with the bandsaw. It will be good for you to discover that it can be set up since it will help with your new bandsaw. If it has some deficiency then it can help you to avoid it in your new bandsaw. You may want to tune up all of you power tools so they demo well when a potential buy comes to "kick the tires." After all, a potential buyer would rather hear you are getting a bigger bandsaw because the one you have isn't big enough for your bigger needs instead of you are selling it because it never worked properly.

You can always tell potential buyers you have something better on the way as a replacement instead of saying you don't want those noisy, dust making, electron killing machines in your shop anymore.

Good luck and show us some pics of your projects.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I personally, don't think that it is an either / or situation. Me, I. Am a hybrid woodworker. Yes I can do things all by hand, but I find it more enjoyable to perform various tasks subject to my interest and the capabilities of the tool in question. Ripping a lot of wood is where the tablesaw excels. The idea of spending most of the day ripping wood by hand is not terribly appealing. I don't have a tailed jointer and almost never use my planer.

I probably spend 75-80% of my time in the shop with hand tools, but I feel no compulsion to ditch all my power tools.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

If those tools are sitting there unused (jointer, planer, radial arm saw in particular) then I think selling you bandsaw and those three things in order to buy a better bandsaw is a great idea and you should go for it. Personally, I don't have a jointer and haven't seen the need but the tablesaw is something I just can't see myself parting with

From Sam Maloof to Tage Frid to James Krenov and other giants, they all used power tools and hand tools. Modern hand-tool users like Frank Klausz, Rob Cosman and even Paul Sellers (for jointing and thicknessing, for example) use power tools all the time. Unless your power tools are junk and don't produce good cuts or you must recover space, you can keep them as long as you wish while exploring the use of hand tools. Getting rid of your power tools doesn't necessarily mean you will be better in your hand skills...but it does mean you will be less efficient in certain tasks (e.g. in stock preparation).

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 01-24-2015 at 1:10 PM.

+1 to Shawns comment. I am also a hybrid WW. The tablesaw and planer will both get a workout when time is of the essence. I avoid them as much as possible because of the dust and noise. I have a 20x 20 shop with a loft, so I will not be adding any more power tools, they already have a large enough footprint in my shop.

I too was a power tool guy till a few years ago and these days have a bandsaw, lathe, and mortiser. Also I have a small table saw but mine like yours is doing duty as a counter. The only power tool I'd like to have is a lunch box planer.

Years ago I wouldn't have even considered hand tools, I thought of them as fuddy duddy.

In full disclosure, I also have a ton of routers and other power tools but those are in the back of a closet, haven't touched em in years.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 01-24-2015 at 3:50 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I am a hybrid woodworker. In my shop I have a miter saw, table saw, band saw, scroll saw, and morticer. I do a lot of work by hand... However I have no desire to use my bad Axe and bontz saws on treated lumber. Hence power tools as I build more than furniture.

To me power tools make sense in building some sorts of stuff like mission style furniture that was made with mostly power tools.

Thinking of finally taking the plunge and selling the power tools
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry
    I freaked out there.
    I have a hard time letting go of any cool tool I can get my mits on. I love machines too.
    Look at it this way . . . if nothing else they keep the shop from blowing away in a high wind.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I can speak to filling your shop w everything u can possibly get your hands on-i had stuff everywhere, even hanging in heavy duty bags from rafters when walls filled up. I was envious of folks who had walls you could see in the shop
    i started getting rid of-RAS, standing sanders, huge scrap bin, central vac enclosure, lumber stored horiz on walls, under rafters, etc etc etc
    So, i moved a bunch of stuff out of main shop andi took over another basement room about 14' square-the amount of lumber is unbelievable i had all over the basement-now stored vertically now in bins along the wall of the new lumber room-a mini lumber yard.....and i can actually get to it!!!
    the amount of space freed up is awesome- shop only 17' square
    so-yes, i am very happy to 86 equipment and some junk i don't use
    but-as has been said, who wants to spend hours busting it just to show a board can be ripped by hand?
    ****i will admit i absolutely equate use of handtools as a spiritual experience, connecting us w all kinds of esoteric and unseen forces......however, i usually find myself flipping the power switch
    if you dont use it, and dont like it, and need the space, 86 it
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I am thinking about keeping my table saw but moving it out of the center of my shop. It does spend much more time as a place to set hand tools than it does cutting wood!

I would not advise you to sell any tool for the first year of your new approach.

These things are already paid for, and unless you're desperate for cash -
    selling them won't reclaim much space or cash.

I suggest you start out the new approach in the following manner.

Put a piece of masking tape over the business end of each power tool.
    Mark it with the current date.

Each time the tool gets used, replace that tape with a new piece
    and mark it with the date it was used.

At the end of a year - sell the tools with the oldest date marked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I would not advise you to sell any tool for the first year of your new approach.

These things are already paid for, and unless you're desperate for cash -
    selling them won't reclaim much space or cash.

I suggest you start out the new approach in the following manner.

Put a piece of masking tape over the business end of each power tool.
    Mark it with the current date.

Each time the tool gets used, replace that tape with a new piece
    and mark it with the date it was used.

At the end of a year - sell the tools with the oldest date marked.
    This seems entirely rational.

Chris

Greg, where are you located? If you're thinking about selling that DJ-20, let me know ;-)
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I have a very similar story, I've always wanted to build a little wood shop but never had a garage, so I just started collecting power tools that I thought I needed and storing them, finally got a house with a two car garage and set them up, then I bought a fence to replace mine that cracked on my table saw and it came with a couple old Stanley hand planes, that's when it went down hill, it's just so much more pleasant working with hand tools, I still use the power tools for some things, like milling a log I found, but I did joint one of the edges by hand, and cut it to length with my $3 Disston crosscut that I found at a Restore. So, the power tools come in handy for big jobs like that, it would've taken me days to rip a log by hand. And I don't have a proper bench for hand tools. That's going to be my first project. I've read two books on the anatomy and building of old benches. It should be a somewhat difficult project, but at the same time a little forgiving, IE: large joints, and inexpensive wood.