Thread: follow up ? to Derek's Veritas plane more than review

follow up ? to Derek's Veritas plane more than review

After reading Derek's more than a review of the new Veritas planes I started thinking of getting one - of course! I'd want a 5 or 5 1/2 because currently I go from 4 to 7.

This would be for 'Charlesworth' style planening. Pondering what handle configuration would be good for someone with weak and painful hands and arms? Since I use mostly walnut and cherry I was figuring 45*. Maybe even lower?

(And yes I know this is a want and not a need)

Hi Tony

What task do you want the plane for? Smoothing I am assuming.

A low angle is a good idea to achieve lower resistence when pushing the plane, however it may be neutralised by a wide blade.

David Charlesworth is responsible for making the #5 1/2 popular as a "super smoother", however this only makes sense to me if one does all initial preparation on machines and your smoothing is now on pretty flat material (otherwise the plane will be levelling as well and not just smoothing). Likewise, a #5 for a smoother, while narrower, is still a long plane. Personally, I like a #3 better than a #4, and you may do so as well. Unfortunately, Veritas do not (yet) offer one. I do not know if they will. I assume they shall. If so, it may be worth waiting for if another #4, albeit one with a low bed, is not a consideration.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    David Charlesworth is responsible for making the #5 1/2 popular as a "super smoother", however this only makes sense to me if one does all initial preparation on machines and your smoothing is now on pretty flat material (otherwise the plane will be levelling as well and not just smoothing).
    Today the saw marks was removed from resawn pine with a #7 which was dialed back to also do the final smoothing.

A smoother is as a smoother does.

Most of the time my #6 is used on tasks like this. The blade on the #7 was just sharpened so it got the job since the #6 is almost in need of some stone work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)