Thread: Newbie Stereo cabinet

Newbie Stereo cabinet

I finally finished up a project that has been on hold since last winter. This is my first "real" project of my own design.... It's QS White Oak, and I somewhat followed Jeff Jewitt's dye and gel stain finishing schedule. Being fairly new to woodworking, there were many learning experiences along the way. First time designing a piece of furniture from scratch, and using a dado blade, and making legs with all four sides showing QS grain, and with inset drawers and doors, and using dye, and gel stain, and spraying shellac, and the list goes on and on. All in all I think it turned out OK, just wish I had these experiences before I started!

I don't mind suggestions and productive criticism. I want to learn! I couldn't get the camera to get the color right but oh well...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it! What is going on behind the two grillwork panels on either side of the front? Is that cloth? I think the finish and color and construction are nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I like it! What is going on behind the two grillwork panels on either side of the front? Is that cloth? I think the finish and color and construction are nicely done.
    Sorry, I didn't explain. Yes that is cloth, with speakers behind. The main stereo amp etc. is behind the two doors.

Looks very nice. Using dye really made the grain pop.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Yoder View Post
    Sorry, I didn't explain. Yes that is cloth, with speakers behind. The main stereo amp etc. is behind the two doors.
    Heh, my cats would destroy that in a second. I did the same thing, used speaker cloth to cover the speakers on my old entertainment center and they were almost immediately shredded. Luckily, I bought a considerable amount of cloth, but it was a losing battle, I'd replace it, they'd shred it again. Eventually, I put a grill over the cloth that kept their claws away from the fabric.

I like both your design and the finish. Well done.

John

I just drool every time I come to this forum, the stuff you guys create is Art, very nice .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Newbie did this?

Maybe I should take up the tuba, instead of woodworking.

kudos

Blog Entries
    Very nice work.

Looks great. I use QSWO and a modified version of Jeff's finishing schedule on a lot of my work. Everything you do has to be done a first time - you just bit the bullet and did a number of firsts at the same time.

Do you have a cooling fan / vent in there somewhere? Or are the cloth fronts good enough?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I was just about to ask - Newbie? WHAT newbie?

Well done, Gary!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Thanks everybody for your encouragement. I've found out one thing, this hobby is just like people said, you can can really get bit.

Nice work, good looking piece.

Better looking than anything you will buy in a store! Nice....

15. I generally never like oak (my age showing, I guess), but that is SPECTACULAR. Great job. Really great job!