Thread: Chisel Questions

Chisel Questions

My computer guru picked up some chisels at a yard sale. The one I have had a long bout with in sharpening has BUCKBROTHER: stamped on the blade the : is there it is not a typo. The handle has TAYLOR & NG with the R circled as a patent.
    The blade is 7'' long and 1.25 wide and apprx 1/8 in. thick with a slight taper the length of it.
    I took into sharpening it in the usual manner with water stones. I used a coarse stone and moved on up to 8000. I could not get it sharp. I stropped it and went at it again. Same story. Well as a lark I picked up an old DMT, grit unknown, and had it in good shape to finish with the water stones and the stropping. I will take the hair off my arm can cut curlies.
    I wonder why this all happened? It did it all free hand. I have a set of Two Cherries that take little time to get razor sharp.
    I must add that this chisel was in good shape, no rust and the edge was straight.
    The next chisel is a beveled one the same width and thickness but only about 4'' long. The blade is stamped ANTON BERG SKILSTUNA SWEDEN.
    Below this is stamped a figure of a fish. From the looks of the tail it may be a shark. The Anton may have an L in front of the A but I cannot be sure.
    I will give the other chisel a go tomorrow.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    My computer guru picked up some chisels at a yard sale. The one I have had a long bout with in sharpening has BUCKBROTHER: stamped on the blade the : is there it is not a typo. The handle has TAYLOR & NG with the R circled as a patent.
    My guess is the wood came from some Taylor & Ng product and was repurposed.

Taylor & Ng used to have a store in Berkeley many years ago. It is possible they put a new handle on a chisel and sold it. They produced a lot of "artistic" home furnishings and amenities during the time I shopped at their store.

For me an 1/8" chisel is difficult at best to make behave on the stones. Between the rocking and wiggling it has a tendency to dig in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jerry, I bet you end up liking that Berg. They are pretty highly regarded. I'm no expert, but they are the ones I reach for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    The blade is 7'' long and 1.25 wide and apprx 1/8 in. thick with a slight taper the length of it.
    I took into sharpening it in the usual manner with water stones. I used a coarse stone and moved on up to 8000. I could not get it sharp. I stropped it and went at it again. Same story. Well as a lark I picked up an old DMT, grit unknown, and had it in good shape to finish with the water stones and the stropping. I will take the hair off my arm can cut curlies.
    I wonder why this all happened? It did it all free hand. I have a set of Two Cherries that take little time to get razor sharp.
    I must add that this chisel was in good shape, no rust and the edge was straight.
    The next chisel is a beveled one the same width and thickness but only about 4'' long. The blade is stamped ANTON BERG SKILSTUNA SWEDEN.
    Below this is stamped a figure of a fish. From the looks of the tail it may be a shark. The Anton may have an L in front of the A but I cannot be sure.
    I will give the other chisel a go tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    The full marking on the Berg chisel would read: ERIC ANTON BERG (or E.A. BERG) ESKILSTUNA SWEDEN.
    There's a short write-up about Berg tools on the WK Fine Tools website-http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib2/...shStory-01.asp

Rick;
    Thanks for the info. I put a magnifying glass to the logo and that is what is on it. I have spent some time today sharpening it. It was high in the middle so I have been using water stones to work it even. I am almost there. I should finish tomorrow and I can hardly wait to give it a go.
    What a lucky find for my friend and for him to give to me. I make Kim Chi for him so we trade off and on things we like. I have been redoing old photos of his family in Viet Nam and he does some computer things for me.

Steve. I got it sharp at last. I took it down to an 8K water stone and stropped it. I put a scrap piece of pine in a vise and it took off shavings on end grain.