Thread: tool sharpening

tool sharpening

weeks ago there were discussions on the need for hollow grinding. It had to digest this a while. In shop school I was taught that the reason for hollow grinding was to create 2 high points on the edge being sharpened. One cutting edge and a back edge just for angle reference. This was the days of chisel and plane irons. When ground with a hollow it is just shaping--not sharpening. When this blade is stroked on a flat stone only the metal on the cutting edge is removed. A bit on the back edge which merely keeps these 2 points in line. A consistent angle is easily maintained which is very condusive to a sharp edge. A blade can then be touched up on a stone many times between grindings. I got into the same procedure accidently when I rigged up some 6" diamond discs on a grinder. I still use my old wheels to shape (with a jig) and then hone on the flat discs of fine diamond grit. Almost no steel is removed by just barely touching the 2 high points to the diamond wheels and I go a long time between grindings. The dia. wheels are 6" lapidary discs by the way. Just rambling.

I use the 6 inch diamond lapidary discs on my work sharp.

The lack of honing done by most turners is the reason for belt type systems like the Sorby and the use of larger wheels. I bought a second CBN wheel - 350 grit and use it for touch ups. I bought my wife a lapidary wheel and have considered using it for my skews.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).